Ordered Response Threshold Estimation
This paper shows that many estimators of thresholds in ordered response models exist, because binary choice location estimators can be converted into threshold estimators. A new threshold estimator is proposed that is consistent under more general conditions. An extension to random thresholds is provided.
|Date of creation:||07 Jun 2002|
|Date of revision:||29 Oct 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA|
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen V. Cameron & James J. Heckman, 1998. "Life Cycle Schooling and Dynamic Selection Bias: Models and Evidence for Five Cohorts of American Males," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(2), pages 262-333, April.
- Chen, Songnian, 2000. "Rank estimation of a location parameter in the binary choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 317-334, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:13:y:1997:i:1:p:32-51 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pedro Carneiro & Karsten T. Hansen & James J. Heckman, 2003. "Estimating Distributions of Treatment Effects with an Application to the Returns to Schooling and Measurement of the Effects of Uncertainty on College," NBER Working Papers 9546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manski, Charles F., 1985. "Semiparametric analysis of discrete response : Asymptotic properties of the maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 313-333, March.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1997. "Semiparametric Estimation of Location and Other Discrete Choice Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 32-51, February.
- Lewbel, Arthur & McFadden, Daniel & Linton, Oliver, 2011.
"Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 170-188, June.
- Arthur Lewbel & Daniel McFadden & Oliver Linton, 1997. "Estimating Features of a Distribution from Binomial Data," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 442, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2010.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & D. L. McFadden, 2006. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4418, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & Daniel McFadden, 2001. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Newey, Whitney K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1986. "Large sample estimation and hypothesis testing," Handbook of Econometrics,in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 36, pages 2111-2245 Elsevier.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2000. "Semiparametric qualitative response model estimation with unknown heteroscedasticity or instrumental variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 145-177, July.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1999. "Semiparametric Qualitative Response Model Estimation with Unknown Heteroskedasticity or Instrumental Variables," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 454, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chen, Songnian, 1999. "Semiparametric Estimation Of A Location Parameter In The Binary Choice Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 79-98, February.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-531, May.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics,in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Roger W. Klein & Robert P. Sherman, 2002. "Shift Restrictions and Semiparametric Estimation in Ordered Response Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 663-691, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)