"Interdependent Durations" Third Version
This paper studies the identification of a simultaneous equation model involving duration measures. It proposes a game theoretic model in which durations are determined by strategic agents. In the absence of strategic motives, the model delivers a version of the generalized accelerated failure time model. In its most general form, the system resembles a classical simultaneous equation model in which endogenous variables interact with observable and unobservable exogenous components to characterize an economic environment. In this paper, the endogenous variables are the individually chosen equilibrium durations. Even though a unique solution to the game is not always attainable in this context, the structural elements of the economic system are shown to be semiparametrically identified. We also present a brief discussion of estimation ideas and a set of simulation studies on the model.
|Date of creation:||04 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:||01 Feb 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104|
Web page: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/pier
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aureo de Paula, 2004.
"Inference in a Synchronization Game with Social Interactions,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
07-017, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 01 May 2007.
- de Paula, Áureo, 2009. "Inference in a synchronization game with social interactions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 56-71, January.
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer, .
"Structurally Dependent Competing Risks,"
Economics Working Papers
2000-11, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1985. "Simultaneous equations models in applied search theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 113-126, April.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2002.
"Semiparametric estimation of a panel data proportional hazards model with fixed effects,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP21/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2004. "Semiparametric estimation of a panel data proportional hazards model with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 155-198, March.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2002. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Panel Data Proportional Hazards Model with Fixed Effects," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 A5-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Frederiksen, Anders & Honore, Bo E. & Hu, Luojia, 2007.
"Discrete time duration models with group-level heterogeneity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1014-1043, December.
- Anders Frederiksen & Bo E. Honoré & Luojia Hu, 2006. "Discrete Time Duration Models with Group-level Heterogeneity," Discussion Papers 05-008, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Bo E. Honoré, 1993. "Identification Results for Duration Models with Multiple Spells," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 241-246.
- Andreas Park & Lones Smith, 2006.
"Caller Number Five: Timing Games that Morph from One Form to Another,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1554, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andreas Park & Lones Smith, 2004. "Caller Number Five: Timing Games that Morph From One Form to Another," 2004 Meeting Papers 871, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Geert Ridder & Tiemen M. Woutersen, 2003.
"The Singularity of the Information Matrix of the Mixed Proportional Hazard Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1579-1589, 09.
- Geert Ridder & Tiemen Woutersen, 2002. "The Singularity of the Information Matrix of the Mixed Proportional Hazard Model," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20026, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Lee, M.J., 1990.
"Median Regression For Ordered Discrete Response,"
9-90-11, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Simon, Leo K & Stinchcombe, Maxwell B, 1989.
"Extensive Form Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1171-1214, September.
- Simon, Leo K. & Stinchcombe, Maxwell B., 1987. "Extensive From Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt03x115sh, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Leo K. Simon and Maxwell B. Stinchcombe., 1987. "Extensive Form Games in Continuous Time: Pure Strategies," Economics Working Papers 8746, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Reiss, Peter C., 1991. "Empirical models of discrete games," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 57-81.
- Roger W. Klein & Robert P. Sherman, 2002. "Shift Restrictions and Semiparametric Estimation in Ordered Response Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 663-691, March.
- Paul Frijters, 2000.
"The Non-Parametric Identification of Lagged Duration Dependence,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Frijters, Paul, 2002. "The non-parametric identification of lagged duration dependence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 289-292, May.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2008.
"Estimating Panel Data Duration Models With Censored Data,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1254-1276, October.
- Sokbae Lee, 2003. "Estimating panel data duration models with censored data," CeMMAP working papers CWP13/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bergin, James & MacLeod, W Bentley, 1993. "Continuous Time Repeated Games," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(1), pages 21-37, February.
- Elie Tamer, 2003. "Incomplete Simultaneous Discrete Response Model with Multiple Equilibria," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 147-165.
- Coppejans, Mark, 2007. "On efficient estimation of the ordered response model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 577-614, April.
- Chen, Songnian & Khan, Shakeeb, 2003. "Rates of convergence for estimating regression coefficients in heteroskedastic discrete response models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 245-278, December.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The Nonparametric Identification of Treatment Effects in Duration Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1491-1517, 09.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2002. "Ordered Response Threshold Estimation," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 535, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 29 Oct 2003.
- James J. Heckman & Christopher R. Taber, 1994. "Econometric Mixture Models and More General Models for Unobservables in Duration Analysis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Honore, Bo E, 1990. "Simple Estimation of a Duration Model with Unobserved Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 453-73, March.
- Geert Ridder, 1990. "The Non-Parametric Identification of Generalized Accelerated Failure-Time Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(2), pages 167-181.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000.
"Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations,"
9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- Heckman, James J & Borjas, George J, 1980. "Does Unemployment Cause Future Unemployment? Definitions, Questions and Answers from a Continuous Time Model of Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(187), pages 247-83, August.
- Chris Elbers & Geert Ridder, 1982. "True and Spurious Duration Dependence: The Identifiability of the Proportional Hazard Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 403-409.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pen:papers:09-039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dolly Guarini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.