The motorcycle Kuznets curve
The evolution of motorcycle ownership is a crucial issue for road safety, as motorcyclists are highly vulnerable road users. Analyzing a panel of 153 countries for the period 1963-2010, we document a motorcycle Kuznets curve which sees motorcycle dependence increase and then decrease as economies develop. Upswings in motorcycle ownership are particularly pronounced in densely populated countries. We also present macro-level evidence on the additional road fatalities associated with motorcycles. Our results indicate that many low-income countries face the prospect of an increasing number of motorcycle-related deaths over coming years unless adequate safety initiatives are implemented.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer, 2015.
"The Next Generation of the Penn World Table,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 105(10), pages 3150-3182, October.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert Inklaar & Marcel Timmer, 2013. "The Next Generation of the Penn World Table," NBER Working Papers 19255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Tay, 2003. "Marginal Effects of Changing the Vehicle Mix on Fatal Crashes," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 37(3), pages 439-450, September.
- Paul J. Burke, 2012. "Climbing the electricity ladder generates carbon Kuznets curve downturns," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(2), pages 260-279, 04.
- Burke, Paul J., 2012. "Climbing the electricity ladder generates carbon Kuznets curve downturns," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 56(2), June.
- Paul J Burke, 2011. "Climbing the electricity ladder generates carbon Kuznets curve downturns," CAMA Working Papers 2011-31, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jou, Rong-Chang & Huang, Wen-Hsiu & Wu, Yuan-Chan & Chao, Ming-Che, 2012. "The asymmetric income effect on household vehicle ownership in Taiwan: A threshold cointegration approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 696-706.
- Michael Grimm & Carole Treibich, 2013. "Determinants Of Road Traffic Crash Fatalities Across Indian States," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(8), pages 915-930, 08.
- Grimm, M. & Treibich, C., 2012. "Determinants of road traffic crash fatalities across Indian States," ISS Working Papers - General Series 531, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Michael Grimm & Carole Treibich, 2013. "Determinants of road traffic crash fatalities across Indian States," Post-Print halshs-01511061, HAL.
- Kopits, Elizabeth & Cropper, Maureen, 2003. "Traffic fatalities and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3035, The World Bank.
- Elizabeth Kopits & Maureen Cropper, 2008. "Why Have Traffic Fatalities Declined in Industrialised Countries?: Implications for Pedestrians and Vehicle Occupants," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 42(1), pages 129-154, January.
- Kopits, Elizabeth & Cropper, Maureen, 2005. "Why have traffic fatalities declined in industrialized countries ? Implications for pedestrians and vehicle occupants," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3678, The World Bank.
- Stern, David I., 2010. "Between estimates of the emissions-income elasticity," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(11), pages 2173-2182, September.
- Joyce Dargay & Dermot Gately & Martin Sommer, 2007. "Vehicle Ownership and Income Growth, Worldwide: 1960-2030," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 143-170.
- World Bank, 2013. "World Development Indicators 2013," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13191, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)