Gasoline Prices and Road Fatalities: International Evidence
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Paul J. Burke & Shuhei Nishitateno, 2015. "Gasoline Prices And Road Fatalities: International Evidence," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 53(3), pages 1437-1450, July.
References listed on IDEAS
- Nicholas E. Burger & Daniel T. Kaffine, 2009. "Gas Prices, Traffic, and Freeway Speeds in Los Angeles," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 652-657, August.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer, 2015. "The Next Generation of the Penn World Table," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 105(10), pages 3150-3182, October.
- Nishitateno, Shuhei & Burke, Paul J., 2014. "The motorcycle Kuznets curve," Journal of Transport Geography, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 116-123.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- David C. Grabowski & Michael A. Morrisey, 2004. "Gasoline prices and motor vehicle fatalities," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 575-593.
- A. Pirotte, 2003. "Convergence of the static estimation toward the long-run effects of dynamic panel data models: a labour demand illustration," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(13), pages 843-847.
- Henrik Hammar, Asa Lofgren and Thomas Sterner, 2004. "Political Economy Obstacles to Fuel Taxation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-18.
- White, Michelle J, 2004. "The "Arms Race" on American Roads: The Effect of Sport Utility Vehicles and Pickup Trucks on Traffic Safety," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 333-355, October.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:10.2105/ajph.2009.159590_9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Noland, Robert B., 2005. "Fuel economy and traffic fatalities: multivariate analysis of international data," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(17), pages 2183-2190, November.
- Grabowski, David C. & Morrisey, Michael A., 2006. "Do higher gasoline taxes save lives?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 51-55, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1984. "Short and Long Run Effects in Pooled Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(3), pages 631-645, October.
- Michael Morrisey & David Grabowski, 2011. "Gas prices, beer taxes and GDL programmes: effects on auto fatalities among young adults in the US," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(25), pages 3645-3654.
- Ted Gayer, 2004. "The Fatality Risks of Sport-Utility Vehicles, Vans, and Pickups Relative to Cars," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 103-133, March.
- Pirotte, Alain, 1999. "Convergence of the static estimation toward the long run effects of dynamic panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 151-158, May.
- Stern, David I., 2010. "Between estimates of the emissions-income elasticity," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(11), pages 2173-2182, September.
- Paul R. Portney & J. Paul Leigh & James T. Wilkinson, 1991. "The effect of gasoline taxes on highway fatalities," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 474-481.
- World Bank, 2013. "World Development Indicators 2013," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13191, December.
- Burke, Paul J. & Nishitateno, Shuhei, 2013.
"Gasoline prices, gasoline consumption, and new-vehicle fuel economy: Evidence for a large sample of countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 363-370.
- Paul J. Burke & Shuhei Nishitateno, 2011. "Gasoline prices, gasoline consumption, and new-vehicle fuel economy: Evidence for a large sample of countries," Departmental Working Papers 2011-15, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Increasing fuel taxes could save thousands of lives worldwide
by Paul Burke, Fellow, Crawford School at Australian National University in The Conversation on 2014-11-13 07:17:25
- Cheap petrol fuels road deaths
by ? in ANU News on 2014-11-12 12:51:00
- Increasing fuel taxes could save thousands of lives worldwide
by ? in ANU News on 2014-11-13 07:30:00
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yi-Xuan Gao & Hua Liao & Paul J. Burke & Yi-Ming Wei, 2015.
"Road transport energy consumption in the G7 and BRICS: 1973-2010,"
International Journal of Global Energy Issues,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 38(4/5/6), pages 342-356.
- Yi-Xuan Gao & Hua Liao & Paul J. Burke & Yi-Ming Wei, 2014. "Road transport energy consumption in the G7 and BRICS: 1973-2010," CEEP-BIT Working Papers 79, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEP), Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Edwards, Ryan B., 2016. "Mining away the Preston curve," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 22-36.
- Paul J. Burke, 2014.
"Green Pricing in the Asia Pacific: An Idea Whose Time Has Come?,"
Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 561-575, September.
- Paul J. Burke, 2014. "Green Pricing in the Asia Pacific: An Idea Whose Time Has Come?," CCEP Working Papers 1409, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Burke, Paul J., 2014. "Green Pricing in the Asia Pacific: An Idea Whose Time Has Come?," Working Papers 249429, Australian National University, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy.
- Paul J. Burke & Ataklti Teame, 2018. "Fuel Prices and Road Deaths in Australia," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 37(2), pages 146-161, June.
- Burke, Paul J. & Yang, Hewen, 2016.
"The price and income elasticities of natural gas demand: International evidence,"
Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 466-474.
- Paul J Burke & Hewen Yang, 2016. "The price and income elasticities of natural gas demand: International evidence," Departmental Working Papers 2016-14, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- repec:aen:journl:ej39-2-burke is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul J. Burke and Ashani Abayasekara, 2018.
"The Price Elasticity of Electricity Demand in the United States: A Three-Dimensional Analysis,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2).
- Paul J. Burke & Ashani Abayasekara, 2017. "The price elasticity of electricity demand in the United States: A three-dimensional analysis," CAMA Working Papers 2017-50, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
More about this item
Keywordsroad deaths; road safety; gasoline price; subsidy; taxation;
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion; Travel Time; Safety and Accidents; Transportation Noise
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- O18 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-12-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2014-12-24 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-TRE-2014-12-24 (Transport Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2014-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/asanuau.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.