Learning and Collusion in New Markets with Uncertain Entry Costs
This paper analyses an entry timing game with uncertain entry costs. Two firms receive costless signals about the cost of a new project and decide when to invest. We characterize the equilibrium of the investment timing game with private and public signals. We show that competition leads the two firms to invest too early and analyze collusion schemes whereby one firm prevents the other firm from entering the market. We show that, in the efficient collusion scheme, the active firm must transfer a large part of the surplus to the inactive firm in order to limit pre-emption.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 56, Dunedin|
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinah Rosenberg & Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2004.
"Social Learning in One-Arm Bandit Problems,"
1396, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Décamps, Jean-Paul & Mariotti, Thomas & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2003.
"Irreversible Investment in Alternative Projects,"
IDEI Working Papers
193, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Jul 2004.
- Hoppe, Heidrun C. & Lehmann-Grube, Ulrich, 2005. "Innovation timing games: a general framework with applications," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 30-50, March.
- Christopher Harris & John Vickers, 1985. "Perfect Equilibrium in a Model of a Race," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(2), pages 193-209.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1998.
"Optimal Experimentation in a Changing Environment,"
Game Theory and Information
- Masako Ueda, 2004. "Banks versus Venture Capital: Project Evaluation, Screening, and Expropriation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 601-621, 04.
- Gale, D. & Chamley, C., 1992.
"Information Revelation and Strategic Delay in a Model of Investment,"
10, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Chamley, Christophe & Gale, Douglas, 1994. "Information Revelation and Strategic Delay in a Model of Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1065-85, September.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Sela, Aner, 1999.
"The Optimal Allocation of Prizes in Contests,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
99-75, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Guiseppe Moscarini & Francesco Squintani, 2004. "Competitive Experimentation with Private Information," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1489, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jay P. Choi, 1991. "Dynamic R&D Competition under "Hazard Rate" Uncertainty," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(4), pages 596-610, Winter.
- Hugo A. Hopenhayn & Francesco Squintani, 2011.
"Preemption Games with Private Information,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 78(2), pages 667-692.
- Adam Copeland, 2004.
"Learning dynamics with private and public signals,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-67, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fabrizi, Simona & Lippert, Steffen & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2008.
"Venture Capitalists, Asymmetric Information, and Ownership in the Innovation Process,"
Working Paper Series
776, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Fabrizi, Simona & Lippert, Steffen & Norback, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2007. "Venture Capitalists, Asymmetric Information and Ownership in the Innovation Process," MPRA Paper 6265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabrizi, Simona & Lippert, Steffen & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2011. "Venture Capital, Patenting, and Usefulness of Innovations," CEPR Discussion Papers 8392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gandal, Neil & Scotchmer, Suzanne, 1993.
"Coordinating research through research joint ventures,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 173-193, June.
- Gandal, N. & Scotchmen, S., 1991. "Coordinating Research Through Research Joint Ventures," Papers 6-91, Tel Aviv.
- Ekaterina Goldfain & Eugen Kovac, 2005. "Financing of Competing Projects with Venture Capital," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse37_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Helen Weeds, 2002.
"Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 729-747.
- Weeds, H., 2000. "Strategic Delay in a Real Optimna Model of R&D Competition," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 576, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Cripps, Martin & Keller, Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2003.
"Strategic Experimentation with Exponential Bandits,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
4, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady & Martin Cripps, 2005. "Strategic Experimentation with Exponential Bandits," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 39-68, 01.
- Cripps, Martin William & Keller, R Godfrey & Rady, Sven, 2003. "Strategic Experimentation with Exponential Bandits," CEPR Discussion Papers 3814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christopher Harris & John Vickers, 1987. "Racing with Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 1-21.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1985. "Preemption and Rent Equalization in the Adoption of New Technology," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(3), pages 383-401.
- Decamps, Jean-Paul & Mariotti, Thomas, 2004. "Investment timing and learning externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 80-102, September.
- Mason, Robin & Weeds, Helen, 2010. "Investment, uncertainty and pre-emption," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 278-287, May.
- Jacco Thijssen & Kuno Huisman & Peter Kort, 2006.
"The effects of information on strategic investment and welfare,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 28(2), pages 399-424, 06.
- J.J.J. Thijssen & K.J.M. Huisman & P.M. Kort, 2003. "The Effects of Information on Strategic Investment and Welfare," Trinity Economics Papers 200310, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Laffont, J.J. & Martimort, D., 1996.
"Collusion Under Asymmetric Information,"
95.389, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Susan Athey & Ilya Segal, 2013.
"An Efficient Dynamic Mechanism,"
Econometric Society, vol. 81(6), pages 2463-2485, November.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F, 1982. "A Dynamic Game of R and D: Patent Protection and Competitive Behavior," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 671-88, May.
- Moscarini, Giuseppe & Squintani, Francesco, 2010. "Competitive experimentation with private information: The survivor's curse," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 639-660, March.
- Pauli Murto & Juuso Välimäki, 2011. "Learning and Information Aggregation in an Exit Game," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 78(4), pages 1426-1461.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:1112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.