Solving Dynamic Programming Problems on a Computational Grid
We implement a dynamic programming algorithm on a computational grid consisting of loosely coupled processors, possibly including clusters and individual workstations. The grid changes dynamically during the computation, as processors enter and leave the pool of workstations. The algorithm is implemented using the Master-Worker library running on the HTCondor grid computing platform. We implement value function iteration for several large dynamic programming problems of two kinds: optimal growth problems and dynamic portfolio problems. We present examples that solve in hours on HTCondor but would take weeks if executed on a single workstation. The use of HTCondor can increase a researcher's computational productivity by at least two orders of magnitude.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juillard, Michel & Villemot, Sébastien, 2011. "Multi-country real business cycle models: Accuracy tests and test bench," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 178-185, February.
- Yongyang Cai & Kenneth L. Judd, 2010. "Stable and Efficient Computational Methods for Dynamic Programming," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 626-634, 04-05.
- Den Haan, Wouter J. & Judd, Kenneth L. & Juillard, Michel, 2011. "Computational suite of models with heterogeneous agents II: Multi-country real business cycle models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 175-177, February.
- Yongyang Cai & Kenneth L. Judd & Thomas S. Lontzek & Valentina Michelangeli & Che-Lin Su, 2013. "Nonlinear Programming Method for Dynamic Programming," NBER Working Papers 19034, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:18714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.