User-Friendly Parallel Computations with Econometric Examples
This paper shows how a high-level matrix programming language may be used to perform Monte Carlo simulation, bootstrapping, estimation by maximum likelihood and GMM, and kernel regression in parallel on symmetric multiprocessor computers or clusters of workstations. The implementation of parallelization is done in a way such that an investigator may use the programs without any knowledge of parallel programming. A bootable CD that allows rapid creation of a cluster for parallel computing is introduced. Examples show that parallelization can lead to important reductions in computational time. Detailed discussion of how the Monte Carlo problem was parallelized is included as an example for learning to write parallel programs for Octave. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/10614/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995. "Which Moments to Match," Working Papers 95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Nagurney, Anna, 1996. "Parallel computation," Handbook of Computational Economics,in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 335-404 Elsevier.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & David F. Hendry & Neil Shephard, "undated". "Computationally-intensive Econometrics using a Distributed Matrix-programming Language," Economics Papers 2001-W22, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Racine, Jeff, 2002. "Parallel distributed kernel estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 293-302, August.
- Swann, Christopher A, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation Using Parallel Computing: An Introduction to MPI," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 19(2), pages 145-178, April.
- Michael Creel, 2005. "ParallelKnoppix," Grecs Computer Code 003.05, Research Group in Computation and Simulations (GRECS). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:26:y:2005:i:2:p:107-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.