Indirect estimation of alpha-stable stochastic volatility models
The alpha-stable family of distributions constitutes a generalization of the Gaussian distribution, allowing for asymmetry and thicker tails. Its many useful properties, including a central limit theorem, are especially appreciated in the financial field. However, estimation difficulties have up to now hindered its diffusion among practitioners. In this paper we propose an indirect estimation approach to stochastic volatility models with alpha-stable innovations that exploits, as auxiliary model, a GARCH(1,1) with t-distributed innovations. We consider both cases of heavytailed noise in the returns or in the volatility. The approach is illustrated by means of a detailed simulation study and an application to currency crises.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Viale G.B. Morgagni, 59 - I-50134 Firenze - Italy|
Phone: +39 055 2751500
Fax: +39 055 2751525
Web page: http://www.disia.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G. & Rossi, P.E.Peter E., 2004. "Bayesian analysis of stochastic volatility models with fat-tails and correlated errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 185-212, September.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2004.
"Fundamentals and Joint Currency Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1978. "Continuous Time Processes with Stable Increments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 601-19, October.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2004. "Indirect estimation of alpha-stable distributions and processes," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2004_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Knut Heggland & Arnoldo Frigessi, 2004. "Estimating functions in indirect inference," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(2), pages 447-462.
- J. Huston McCulloch, 2004.
"The Risk-Neutral Measure and Option Pricing under Log-Stable Uncertainty,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
428, Econometric Society.
- J. Huston McCulloch, 2003. "The Risk-Neutral Measure and Option Pricing under Log-Stable Uncertainty," Working Papers 03-07, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Alvaro Cartea & Sam Howison, 2006.
"Option Pricing with Lévy-Stable Processes Generated by Lévy-Stable Integrated Variance,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0602, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Alvaro Cartea & Sam Howison, 2009. "Option pricing with Levy-Stable processes generated by Levy-Stable integrated variance," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 397-409.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Aleksander Janicki & Aleksander Weron, 1994. "Simulation and Chaotic Behavior of Alpha-stable Stochastic Processes," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook9401.
- Ghose, Devajyoti & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "The relationship between GARCH and symmetric stable processes: Finding the source of fat tails in financial data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-251, September.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-96, May.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6326 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996.
"Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models,"
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1997.
"Estimation of stochastic volatility models with diagnostics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 159-192, November.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1995. "Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models with Diagnostics," Working Papers 95-36, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- McCulloch, J. Huston, 1985. "Interest-risk sensitive deposit insurance premia : Stable ACH estimates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 137-156, March.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 2002.
"Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Marco J. Lombardi, 2004.
"Bayesian inference for alpha-stable distributions: a random walk MCMC approach,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2004_11, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Lombardi, Marco J., 2007. "Bayesian inference for [alpha]-stable distributions: A random walk MCMC approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 2688-2700, February.
- Bjørn Eraker & Michael Johannes & Nicholas Polson, 2003. "The Impact of Jumps in Volatility and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1269-1300, 06.
- Liu, Shi-Miin & Brorsen, B Wade, 1995. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Garch-Stable Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 273-85, July-Sept.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Renault, E., 1992.
92.279, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Nardari, Federico & Shephard, Neil, 2002. "Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 281-316, June.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Constrained Indirect Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 945-973.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2008. "Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Distributions and Processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 193-208, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fir:econom:wp2006_07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Calvori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.