Indirect estimation of alpha-stable stochastic volatility models
The alpha-stable family of distributions constitutes a generalization of the Gaussian distribution, allowing for asymmetry and thicker tails. Its many useful properties, including a central limit theorem, are especially appreciated in the financial field. However, estimation difficulties have up to now hindered its diffusion among practitioners. In this paper we propose an indirect estimation approach to stochastic volatility models with alpha-stable innovations that exploits, as auxiliary model, a GARCH(1,1) with t-distributed innovations. We consider both cases of heavytailed noise in the returns or in the volatility. The approach is illustrated by means of a detailed simulation study and an application to currency crises.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 055 2751500
Fax: +39 055 4223560
Web page: http://www.disia.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Huston McCulloch, 2004.
"The Risk-Neutral Measure and Option Pricing under Log-Stable Uncertainty,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
428, Econometric Society.
- J. Huston McCulloch, 2003. "The Risk-Neutral Measure and Option Pricing under Log-Stable Uncertainty," Working Papers 03-07, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Aleksander Janicki & Aleksander Weron, 1994. "Simulation and Chaotic Behavior of Alpha-stable Stochastic Processes," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook9401.
- Lombardi, Marco J., 2007.
"Bayesian inference for [alpha]-stable distributions: A random walk MCMC approach,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 2688-2700, February.
- Marco J. Lombardi, 2004. "Bayesian inference for alpha-stable distributions: a random walk MCMC approach," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2004_11, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1995.
"Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models with Diagnostics,"
95-36, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1997. "Estimation of stochastic volatility models with diagnostics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 159-192, November.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 2002.
"Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2008. "Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Distributions and Processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 193-208, 03.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- Bjørn Eraker & Michael Johannes & Nicholas Polson, 2003. "The Impact of Jumps in Volatility and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1269-1300, 06.
- Alvaro Cartea & Sam Howison, 2009.
"Option pricing with Levy-Stable processes generated by Levy-Stable integrated variance,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 397-409.
- Alvaro Cartea & Sam Howison, 2006. "Option Pricing with Lévy-Stable Processes Generated by Lévy-Stable Integrated Variance," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0602, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2004.
"Fundamentals and Joint Currency Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Knut Heggland & Arnoldo Frigessi, 2004. "Estimating functions in indirect inference," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(2), pages 447-462.
- Liu, Shi-Miin & Brorsen, B Wade, 1995. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Garch-Stable Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 273-85, July-Sept.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996.
"Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models,"
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- McCulloch, J. Huston, 1985. "Interest-risk sensitive deposit insurance premia : Stable ACH estimates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 137-156, March.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2004.
"Constrained Indirect Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 945-973.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-96, May.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Nardari, Federico & Shephard, Neil, 2002. "Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 281-316, June.
- Ghose, Devajyoti & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "The relationship between GARCH and symmetric stable processes: Finding the source of fat tails in financial data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-251, September.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2004. "Indirect estimation of alpha-stable distributions and processes," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2004_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G. & Rossi, P.E.Peter E., 2004. "Bayesian analysis of stochastic volatility models with fat-tails and correlated errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 185-212, September.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1978. "Continuous Time Processes with Stable Increments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 601-19, October.
- Casarin, Roberto, 2003. "Bayesian Inference for Mixtures of Stable Distributions," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6326, Paris Dauphine University.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fir:econom:wp2006_07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Calvori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.