Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Garch Models
It is a well-known fact that financial returns exhibit conditional heteroscedasticity and fat tails. While the GARCH-type models are very popular in depicting the conditional heteroscedasticity, the α-stable distribution is a natural candidate for the conditional distribution of financial returns. The α-stable distribution is a generalization of the normal distribution and is described by four parameters, two of which deal with tail-thickness and asymmetry. However, practical implementation of α-stable distribution in finance applications has been limited by its estimation difficulties. In this paper, we propose an indirect approach of estimating GARCH models with α-stable innovations by using as auxiliary models GARCH-type models with Student's t distributed innovations. We provide comprehensive empirical evidence on the performance of the method within a series of Monte Carlo simulation studies and an empirical application to financial returns.
|Date of creation:||23 Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-78457 Konstanz|
Web page: https://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/en
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/en|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages 85-118, Suppl. De.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A. & Renault, E., 1992. "Indirect Inference," Papers 92.279, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Liu, Shi-Miin & Brorsen, B Wade, 1995. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Garch-Stable Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 273-285, July-Sept.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2009. "Indirect estimation of [alpha]-stable stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2298-2308, April.
- Marco Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2006. "Indirect estimation of alpha-stable stochastic volatility models," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2006_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996. "Which Moments to Match?," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995. "Which Moments to Match," Working Papers 95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ghose, Devajyoti & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "The relationship between GARCH and symmetric stable processes: Finding the source of fat tails in financial data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-251, September.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2008. "Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Distributions and Processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 193-208, 03.
- Rene Garcia & Eric Renault & David Veredas, 2011. "Estimation of stable distributions with indirect inference," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136186, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Seung‐Ryong Yang & B. Wade Brorsen, 1993. "Nonlinear dynamics of daily futures prices: Conditional heteroskedasticity or chaos?," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 175-191, 04.
- de Vries, Casper G., 1991. "On the relation between GARCH and stable processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 313-324, June.
- de Vries, C.G., 1990. "On the relation between GARCH and stable processes," Discussion Paper 1990-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2000. "Diagnosing and treating the fat tails in financial returns data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 389-416, November.
- Liu, Shi-Miin & Brorsen, B Wade, 1995. "GARCH-Stable as a Model of Futures Price Movements," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 155-167, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:dpteco:1231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office Ursprung)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.