Estimation for multivariate stable distributions with generalized empirical likelihood
This paper considers the generalized empirical likelihood (GEL) method for estimating the parameters of the multivariate stable distribution. The GEL method is considered to be an extension of the generalized method of moments (GMM). The multivariate stable distributions are widely applicable as they can accommodate both skewness and heavy tails. We treat the spectral measure, which summarizes scale and asymmetry, by discretization. In order to estimate all the model parameters simultaneously, we apply the estimating function constructed by equating empirical and theoretical characteristic functions. The efficacy of the proposed GEL method is demonstrated in Monte Carlo studies. An illustrative example involving daily returns of market indexes is also included.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Byczkowski, T. & Nolan, J. P. & Rajput, B., 1993. "Approximation of Multidimensional Stable Densities," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 13-31, July.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Dominicy, Yves & Veredas, David, 2013. "The method of simulated quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 235-247.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Veredas, David, 2009.
"Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2309-2324, April.
- LOMBARDI, Marco & VEREDAS, David, 2007. "Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions," CORE Discussion Papers 2007018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003.
"Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004. "Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Jun Yu, 2004. "Empirical Characteristic Function Estimation and Its Applications," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 93-123.
- Smith, Richard J, 1997. "Alternative Semi-parametric Likelihood Approaches to Generalised Method of Moments Estimation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 503-19, March.
- Pivato, Marcus & Seco, Luis, 2003. "Estimating the spectral measure of a multivariate stable distribution via spherical harmonic analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 219-240, November.
- Marine Carrasco & Jean-Pierre Florens, 2000.
"Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function,"
2000-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002. "Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function," IDEI Working Papers 140, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- B. N. Cheng & S. T. Rachev, 1995. "Multivariate Stable Futures Prices," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 133-153.
- repec:spr:compst:v:51:y:2000:i:2:p:341-352 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005.
"A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LOGMVSKEWT: RATS procedure to compute function for log density of multivariate skew-t distribution," Statistical Software Components RTS00107, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ravishanker, Nalini & Qiou, Zuqiang, 1999. "Monte Carlo EM estimation for multivariate stable distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 335-340, December.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:172:y:2013:i:2:p:248-254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.