Estimation for multivariate stable distributions with generalized empirical likelihood
This paper considers the generalized empirical likelihood (GEL) method for estimating the parameters of the multivariate stable distribution. The GEL method is considered to be an extension of the generalized method of moments (GMM). The multivariate stable distributions are widely applicable as they can accommodate both skewness and heavy tails. We treat the spectral measure, which summarizes scale and asymmetry, by discretization. In order to estimate all the model parameters simultaneously, we apply the estimating function constructed by equating empirical and theoretical characteristic functions. The efficacy of the proposed GEL method is demonstrated in Monte Carlo studies. An illustrative example involving daily returns of market indexes is also included.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:spr:compst:v:51:y:2000:i:2:p:341-352 is not listed on IDEAS
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004.
"Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003. "Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Veredas, David, 2009.
"Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2309-2324, April.
- LOMBARDI, Marco & VEREDAS, David, 2007. "Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions," CORE Discussion Papers 2007018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002.
"Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function,"
IDEI Working Papers
140, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Marine Carrasco & Jean-Pierre Florens, 2000. "Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function," Working Papers 2000-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pivato, Marcus & Seco, Luis, 2003. "Estimating the spectral measure of a multivariate stable distribution via spherical harmonic analysis," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 219-240, November.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
- Byczkowski, T. & Nolan, J. P. & Rajput, B., 1993. "Approximation of Multidimensional Stable Densities," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 13-31, July.
- Jun Yu, 2004. "Empirical Characteristic Function Estimation and Its Applications," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 93-123.
- Ravishanker, Nalini & Qiou, Zuqiang, 1999. "Monte Carlo EM estimation for multivariate stable distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 335-340, December.
- Smith, Richard J, 1997. "Alternative Semi-parametric Likelihood Approaches to Generalised Method of Moments Estimation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 503-19, March.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- B. N. Cheng & S. T. Rachev, 1995. "Multivariate Stable Futures Prices," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 133-153.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien, .
"A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005. "A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
- Dominicy, Yves & Veredas, David, 2013. "The method of simulated quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 235-247.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:172:y:2013:i:2:p:248-254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.