Count Data Models with Unobserved Heterogeneity: An Empirical Likelihood Approach
As previously argued, the correlation between included and omitted regressors generally causes inconsistency of standard estimators for count data models. Using a specific residual function and suitable instruments, a consistent generalized method of moments estimator can be obtained under conditional moment restrictions. This approach is extended here by fully exploiting the model assumptions and thereby improving efficiency of the resulting estimator. Empirical likelihood estimation in particular has favorable properties in this setting compared to the two-step GMM procedure, which is demonstrated in a Monte Carlo experiment. The proposed method is applied to the estimation of a cigarette demand function.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 37(3), pp. 382-402, 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2006. "Empirical Likelihood Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000307, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Miguel A. Delgado & Thomas J. Kniesner, 1997.
"Count Data Models With Variance Of Unknown Form: An Application To A Hedonic Model Of Worker Absenteeism,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 41-49, February.
- Kniesner, Thomas J. & Delgado, Miguel A., 1994. "Count data models with variance of unknown form: an application to a hedonic model of worker absenteeism," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 3959, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Delgado, M.A. & Kniesner, T.J., 1994. "Count Data Models with Viriance of Unknown Form - An Application to a Hedonic Model of Worker Absenteeism," Papers 94-011, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Applications of Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 87-100, Fall.
- Guido W. Imbens & Richard H. Spady & Phillip Johnson, 1998.
"Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 333-358, March.
- Imbens, G.W. & Johnson, P. & Spady, R.H., 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Movement Condition Models," Economics Papers 99, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1736, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W Imbens, Phillip Johnson & Richard H Spady, . "Information theoretic approaches to inference in moment condition model," Economics Papers W12., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Hall, Alastair R., 2004. "Generalized Method of Moments," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198775201, December.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1992.
"Some Alternatives to the Box-Cox Regression Model,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(4), pages 935-55, November.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," NBER Technical Working Papers 0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grogger, Jeffrey, 1990. "A simple test for exogeneity in probit, logit, and poisson regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 329-332, August.
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2006. "Empirical Likelihood Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1569, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Smith, Richard J, 1997. "Alternative Semi-parametric Likelihood Approaches to Generalised Method of Moments Estimation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 503-19, March.
- Russell Davidson & James MacKinnon, 2006.
"Moments Of Iv And Jive Estimators,"
Departmental Working Papers
2006-22, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Imbens, Guido W, 2002. "Generalized Method of Moments and Empirical Likelihood," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 493-506, October.
- Winfried Pohlmeier & Volker Ulrich, 1995. "An Econometric Model of the Two-Part Decisionmaking Process in the Demand for Health Care," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(2), pages 339-361.
- Frank Windmeijer & Joao Santos Silva, 1996.
"Endogeneity in count data models; an application to demand for health care,"
IFS Working Papers
W96/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Windmeijer, F A G & Silva, J M C Santos, 1997. "Endogeneity in Count Data Models: An Application to Demand for Health Care," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 281-94, May-June.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003.
"Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004. "Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2003. "On Finite Sample Distributions of the Empirical Likelihood Estimator and the GMM Estimator," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-200, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2003. "Empirical likelihood estimation and consistent tests with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 55-93, November.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Donald, Stephen G & Newey, Whitney K, 2001.
"Choosing the Number of Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1161-91, September.
- John Mullahy, 1997. "Instrumental-Variable Estimation Of Count Data Models: Applications To Models Of Cigarette Smoking Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 586-593, November.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1987. "Asymptotic efficiency in estimation with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 305-334, March.
- Gurmu, Shiferaw & Rilstone, Paul & Stern, Steven, 1998. "Semiparametric estimation of count regression models1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 123-150, November.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984.
"Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982. "Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8203, CEPREMAP.
- Manuel A. Domínguez & Ignacio N. Lobato, 2004. "Consistent Estimation of Models Defined by Conditional Moment Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1601-1615, 09.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soz:wpaper:0704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.