Moments of IV and JIVE Estimators
We develop a new method, based on the use of polar coordinates, to investigate the existence of moments for instrumental variables and related estimators in the linear regression model. For generalized IV estimators, we obtain familiar results. For JIVE, we obtain the new result that this estimator has no moments at all. Simulation results illustrate the consequences of its lack of moments.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James G. MacKinnon & Russell Davidson, 2006.
"The case against JIVE,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(6), pages 827-833.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 2004. "The Case Against JIVE," Working Papers 1031, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & James MacKinnon, 2006. "The Case Against Jive," Departmental Working Papers 2004-02, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Blomquist, Soren & Dahlberg, Matz, 1999. "Small Sample Properties of LIML and Jackknife IV Estimators: Experiments with Weak Instruments," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 69-88, Jan.-Feb..
- Fuller, Wayne A, 1977. "Some Properties of a Modification of the Limited Information Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 939-953, May.
- Angrist, J D & Imbens, G W & Krueger, A B, 1999. "Jackknife Instrumental Variables Estimation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 57-67, Jan.-Feb..
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido W. Imbens & Alan Krueger, 1995. "Jackknife Instrumental Variables Estimation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jinyong Hahn & Jerry Hausman & Guido Kuersteiner, 2004. "Estimation with weak instruments: Accuracy of higher-order bias and MSE approximations," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 272-306, 06.
- Kinal, Terrence W, 1980. "The Existence of Moments of k-Class Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 241-249, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)