The method of simulated quantiles
We introduce the Method of Simulated Quantiles, or MSQ, an indirect inference method based on quantile matching that is useful for situations where the density function does not have a closed form and/or moments do not exist. Functions of theoretical quantiles, which depend on the parameters of the assumed probability law, are matched with the sample counterparts, which depend on the observations. Since the theoretical quantiles may not be available analytically, the optimization is based on simulations. We illustrate the method with the estimation of α-stable distributions. A thorough Monte Carlo study and an illustration to 22 financial indexes show the usefulness of MSQ.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Darrell Duffie & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1990.
"Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- de Vries, C.G., 1990.
"On the relation between GARCH and stable processes,"
1990-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- de Vries, Casper G., 1991. "On the relation between GARCH and stable processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 313-324, June.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- GARCIA, René & RENAULT, Eric & VEREDAS, David, 2006.
"Estimation of stable distributions by indirect inference,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006112, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Garcia, René & Renault, Eric & Veredas, David, 2011. "Estimation of stable distributions by indirect inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 325-337, April.
- Ghose, Devajyoti & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "The relationship between GARCH and symmetric stable processes: Finding the source of fat tails in financial data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-251, September.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1989.
"A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models without Numerical Integration,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 995-1026, September.
- Daniel McFadden, 1987. "A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models Without Numerical Integration," Working papers 464, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2000. "Diagnosing and treating the fat tails in financial returns data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 389-416, November.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002.
"Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function,"
IDEI Working Papers
140, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Marine Carrasco & Jean-Pierre Florens, 2000. "Efficient GMM Estimation Using the Empirical Characteristic Function," Working Papers 2000-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Lombardi, Marco J., 2007.
"Bayesian inference for [alpha]-stable distributions: A random walk MCMC approach,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 2688-2700, February.
- Marco J. Lombardi, 2004. "Bayesian inference for alpha-stable distributions: a random walk MCMC approach," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2004_11, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco J. Lombardi & Giorgio Calzolari, 2008. "Indirect Estimation of α-Stable Distributions and Processes," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(1), pages 193-208, 03.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:172:y:2013:i:2:p:235-247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.