One-step R-estimation in linear models with stable errors
Classical estimation techniques for linear models either are inconsistent, or perform rather poorly, under α-stable error densities; most of them are not even rate-optimal. In this paper, we propose an original one-step R-estimation method and investigate its asymptotic performances under stable densities. Contrary to traditional least squares, the proposed R-estimators remain root-n consistent (the optimal rate) under the whole family of stable distributions, irrespective of their asymmetry and tail index. While parametric stable-likelihood estimation, due to the absence of a closed form for stable densities, is quite cumbersome, our method allows us to construct estimators reaching the parametric efficiency bounds associated with any prescribed values (α0,b0) of the tail index α and skewness parameter b, while preserving root-n consistency under any (α,b) as well as under usual light-tailed densities. The method furthermore avoids all forms of multidimensional argmin computation. Simulations confirm its excellent finite-sample performances.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ulb:ulbeco:2013/136280 is not listed on IDEAS
- Blattberg, Robert & Sargent, Thomas J, 1971. "Regression with Non-Gaussian Stable Disturbances: Some Sampling Results," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 501-10, May.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, june. pag.
- Deo, Rohit S., 2002. "On testing the adequacy of stable processes under conditional heteroscedasticity," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 257-270, March.
- Marc Hallin & Yves-Caoimhin Swan & Thomas Verdebout & David Veredas, 2011. "Rank-based testing in linear models with stable errors," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136196, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bantli, Faouzi El & Hallin, Marc, 1999.
"L1-estimation in linear models with heterogeneous white noise,"
Statistics & Probability Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 305-315, December.
- Marc Hallin & Faouzi El Bantli, 1999. "L1-estimation in linear models with heterogeneous white noise," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2083, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Allal, Jelloul & Kaaouachi, Abdelali & Paindaveine, Davy, 2001. "R-estimation for ARMA models," MPRA Paper 21167, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2000. "Diagnosing and treating the fat tails in financial returns data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 389-416, November.
- Knight, Keith, 1998. "Bootstrapping sample quantiles in non-regular cases," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 259-267, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:172:y:2013:i:2:p:195-204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.