Optimal Bandwidth Selection for Nonparametric Conditional Distribution and Quantile Functions
We propose a data-driven least-square cross-validation method to optimally select smoothing parameters for the nonparametric estimation of conditional cumulative distribution functions and conditional quantile functions. We allow for general multivariate covariates that can be continuous, categorical, or a mix of either. We provide asymptotic analysis, examine finite-sample properties via Monte Carlo simulation, and consider an application involving testing for first-order stochastic dominance of children’s health conditional on parental education and income. This article has supplementary materials online.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/UBES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/UBES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2010.
"Quantile and Probability Curves without Crossing,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/5rkqqmvrn4t, Sciences Po.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2007. "Quantile and probability curves without crossing," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2007. "Quantile And Probability Curves Without Crossing," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-011, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731.
- Hyndman, R.J. & Yao, Q., 1998.
"Nonparametric Estimation and Symmetry Tests for Conditional Density Functions,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
17/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Qiwei Yao & Rob J. Hyndman, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation and symmetry tests for conditional density functions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6092, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Maria Ana Lugo, 2008.
"The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments,"
0804, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Lugo, Maria, 2006. "The Information Basis of Multivariate Poverty Assessments," Departmental Working Papers 0603, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Bashtannyk, D.M. & Hyndman, R.J., 1998.
"Bandwidth Selection for Kernel Conditional Density Estimation,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
16/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Bashtannyk, David M. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2001. "Bandwidth selection for kernel conditional density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 279-298, May.
- Peter Hall & Jeff Racine & Qi Li, 2004. "Cross-Validation and the Estimation of Conditional Probability Densities," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 1015-1026, December.
- Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S, 2008. "Nonparametric Estimation of Conditional CDF and Quantile Functions With Mixed Categorical and Continuous Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 423-434.
- Cai, Zongwu, 2002. "Regression Quantiles For Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 169-192, February.
- Peter Hall & Qi Li & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2007. "Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Functions in the Presence of Irrelevant Regressors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 784-789, November.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Tristen Hayfield & Jeffrey S. Racine, . "Nonparametric Econometrics: The np Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i05).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jnlbes:v:31:y:2013:i:1:p:57-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.