The Effect Of Migration Experience On Occupational Mobility In Estonia
The existing literature on return migration has resulted in several studies analysing the impact of foreign work experience on the returnees’ earnings or their decision to become self-employed; however, in this paper we analyse the less studied effect on occupational mobility – how the job in the home country after returning compares to the job held before migration. The effect of temporary migration on occupational mobility is analysed using unique data from an Estonian online job search portal covering approximately 10–15% of the total workforce, including thousands of employees with temporary migration experience. The focus on data from a Central and Eastern European country is motivated given that the opening of labour markets in old EU countries to the workforce of the new member states has led to massive East-West migration. We did not find any positive effect of temporary migration on upward occupational mobility and in some groups, such as females, the effect was negative. These results could be related to the typically short-term nature of migration and occupational downshifting abroad as well as the functioning of the home country labour market.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+372 7) 376 310
Fax: (+372 7) 376 312
Web page: http://www.mtk.ut.ee
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campos, Nauro F. & Dabusinskas, Aurelijus, 2009.
"So many rocket scientists, so few marketing clerks: Estimating the effects of economic reform on occupational mobility in Estonia,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 261-275, June.
- Campos, Nauro F & Dabušinskas, Aurelijus, 2008. "So Many Rocket Scientists, So Few Marketing Clerks: Estimating the Effects of Economic Reform on Occupational Mobility in Estonia," IZA Discussion Papers 3886, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borodak, Daniela & Piracha, Matloob, 2010.
"Occupational Choice of Return Migrants in Moldova,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5207, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jan Saarela & Fjalar Finnäs, 2009. "Return migrant status and employment in Finland," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(5), pages 489-506, September.
- Alan Barrett & Philip J. O’Connell, 2001.
"Is There a Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21.
- Alan Barrett & Philip J. O'Connell, 2000. "Is there a Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?," Papers WP125, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Barrett, Alan & O'Connell, Philip, 2000. "Is There A Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2408, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrett, Alan & O'Connell, Philip J., 2000. "Is There a Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?," IZA Discussion Papers 135, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Kahanec & Michael Shields, 2013.
"The working hours of immigrants in Germany: temporary versus permanent,"
IZA Journal of Migration,
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 1-15, December.
- Kahanec, Martin & Shields, Michael P., 2010. "The Working Hours of Immigrants in Germany: Temporary versus Permanent," IZA Discussion Papers 4735, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Derek Neal, 1998.
"The Complexity of Job Mobility Among Young Men,"
NBER Working Papers
6662, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ira N. Gang & Catherine Y. Co & Myeong-Su Yun, 1999.
"Returns to Returning,"
Departmental Working Papers
199813, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Hazans, Mihails & Philips, Kaia, 2011. "The Post-Enlargement Migration Experience in the Baltic Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 5878, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ilahi, Nadeem, 1999. "Return Migration and Occupational Change," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 170-86, June.
- Kupets Olga, 2011. "Brain Gain or Brain Waste? The Performance of Return Labor Migrants in the Ukrainian Labor Market," EERC Working Paper Series 11/06e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Stephan Thomsen & Mick Wittich, 2009. "Which one to choose? New evidence on the choice and success of job search methods," FEMM Working Papers 09022, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Anna Iara, 2006.
"Skill Diffusion by Temporary Migration? Returns to Western European Working Experience in the EU Accession Countries,"
Development Working Papers
210, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Anna Iara, 2006. "Skill Diffusion by Temporary Migration? Returns to Western European Working Experience in the EU Accession Countries," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 69, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Anna Iara, 2006. "Skill diffusion by temporary migration? Returns to Western European working experience in the EU-accession countries," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0607, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 30 Aug 2006.
- Oded Galor & Nachum Sicherman, 1988.
"A Theory of Career Mobility,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
51, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Özden, Çaglar & Spatareanu, Mariana & Neagu, Cristina, 2011.
"Migrant networks and foreign direct investment,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 231-241, March.
- Beata S. Javorcik & Çaglar Özden & Mariana Spatareanu & Cristina Neagu, 2006. "Migrant Networks and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2006-003, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Ozden, Caglar & Spatareanu, Mariana & Neagu, Cristina, 2006. "Migrant networks and foreign direct investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4046, The World Bank.
- Tommaso Frattini, 2012. "Immigrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 363-407, July-Sept.
- George J. Borjas & Bernt Bratsberg, 1994.
"Who Leaves? The Outmigration of the Foreign-Born,"
NBER Working Papers
4913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Augustin De Coulon & Matloob Piracha, 2003.
"Self-selection and the performance of return migrants: the source country perspective,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Augustin Coulon & Matloob Piracha, 2005. "Self-selection and the performance of return migrants: the source country perspective," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 779-807, November.
- Matloob Piracha & Augustin de Coulon, 2003. "Self-Selection and the Performance of Return Migrants: the Source Country Perspective," CEP Discussion Papers dp0576, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kugler, Maurice & Rapoport, Hillel, 2007. "International labor and capital flows: Complements or substitutes?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 155-162, February.
- Alice Mesnard, 2004. "Temporary migration and self-employment: evidence from Tunisia," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 47(1), pages 119-138.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina & Ozden, Caglar, 2005.
"Brain waste? Educated immigrants in the U.S. labor market,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3581, The World Bank.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina & Özden, Çaglar, 2008. "Brain waste? Educated immigrants in the US labor market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 255-269, October.
- Andries de Grip & Didier Fouarge & Jan Sauermann, 2010.
"What affects international migration of European science and engineering graduates?,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(5), pages 407-421.
- de Grip, Andries & Fouarge, Didier & Sauermann, Jan, 2009. "What Affects International Migration of European Science and Engineering Graduates?," IZA Discussion Papers 4268, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Grip Andries de & Fouarge Didier & Sauermann Jan, 2008. "What affects international migration of European science and engineering graduates?," ROA Research Memorandum 006, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Louka T. Katseli & Robert E.B. Lucas & Theodora Xenogiani, 2006. "Effects of Migration on Sending Countries: What Do We Know?," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 250, OECD Publishing.
- Calogero Carletto & Talip Kilic, 2011.
"Moving Up the Ladder? The Impact of Migration Experience on Occupational Mobility in Albania,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(6), pages 846-869.
- Carletto, Calogero & Kilic, Talip, 2009. "Moving up the ladder ? the impact of migration experience on occupational mobility in Albania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4908, The World Bank.
- Sabirianova Klara, 2001.
"The Great Human Capital Reallocation: A Study of Occupational Mobility in Transitional Russiah,"
EERC Working Paper Series
2k/11e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Sabirianova, Klara Z., 2002. "The Great Human Capital Reallocation: A Study of Occupational Mobility in Transitional Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 191-217, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtk:febawb:92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tonu Roolaht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.