The Effect Of Migration Experience On Occupational Mobility In Estonia
The existing literature on return migration has resulted in several studies analysing the impact of foreign work experience on the returnees’ earnings or their decision to become self-employed; however, in this paper we analyse the less studied effect on occupational mobility – how the job in the home country after returning compares to the job held before migration. The effect of temporary migration on occupational mobility is analysed using unique data from an Estonian online job search portal covering approximately 10–15% of the total workforce, including thousands of employees with temporary migration experience. The focus on data from a Central and Eastern European country is motivated given that the opening of labour markets in old EU countries to the workforce of the new member states has led to massive East-West migration. We did not find any positive effect of temporary migration on upward occupational mobility and in some groups, such as females, the effect was negative. These results could be related to the typically short-term nature of migration and occupational downshifting abroad as well as the functioning of the home country labour market.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Narva mnt 4, 51009 Tartu|
Phone: (+372 7) 376 310
Fax: (+372 7) 376 312
Web page: http://www.mtk.ut.ee
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Iara, 2006.
"Skill diffusion by temporary migration? Returns to Western European working experience in the EU-accession countries,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0607, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 30 Aug 2006.
- Anna Iara, 2006. "Skill Diffusion by Temporary Migration? Returns to Western European Working Experience in the EU Accession Countries," Development Working Papers 210, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Anna Iara, 2006. "Skill Diffusion by Temporary Migration? Returns to Western European Working Experience in the EU Accession Countries," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 69, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- George J. Borjas & Bernt Bratsberg, 1994.
"Who Leaves? The Outmigration of the Foreign-Born,"
NBER Working Papers
4913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tiiu Paas & Raul Eamets & Jaan Masso & Marit Room, 2003. "Labour Market Flexibility And Migration In The Baltic States: Macro Evidences," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 16, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Augustin De Coulon & Matloob Piracha, 2003.
"Self-selection and the performance of return migrants: the source country perspective,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Augustin Coulon & Matloob Piracha, 2005. "Self-selection and the performance of return migrants: the source country perspective," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(4), pages 779-807, November.
- Matloob Piracha & Augustin de Coulon, 2003. "Self-Selection and the Performance of Return Migrants: the Source Country Perspective," CEP Discussion Papers dp0576, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Andries de Grip & Didier Fouarge & Jan Sauermann, 2010.
"What affects international migration of European science and engineering graduates?,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(5), pages 407-421.
- Grip Andries de & Fouarge Didier & Sauermann Jan, 2008. "What affects international migration of European science and engineering graduates?," ROA Research Memorandum 006, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- de Grip, Andries & Fouarge, Didier & Sauermann, Jan, 2009. "What Affects International Migration of European Science and Engineering Graduates?," IZA Discussion Papers 4268, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniela Borodak & Matloob Piracha, 2011.
"Occupational Choice of Return Migrants in Moldova,"
Eastern European Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(4), pages 24-46, July.
- Campos, Nauro F. & Dabusinskas, Aurelijus, 2009.
"So many rocket scientists, so few marketing clerks: Estimating the effects of economic reform on occupational mobility in Estonia,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 261-275, June.
- Campos, Nauro F & Dabušinskas, Aurelijus, 2008. "So Many Rocket Scientists, So Few Marketing Clerks: Estimating the Effects of Economic Reform on Occupational Mobility in Estonia," IZA Discussion Papers 3886, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sabirianova Klara, 2001.
"The Great Human Capital Reallocation: A Study of Occupational Mobility in Transitional Russiah,"
EERC Working Paper Series
2k/11e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Sabirianova, Klara Z., 2002. "The Great Human Capital Reallocation: A Study of Occupational Mobility in Transitional Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 191-217, March.
- Ira N. Gang & Catherine Y. Co & Myeong-Su Yun, 1999.
"Returns to Returning,"
Departmental Working Papers
199813, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Tommaso Frattini, 2012. "Immigrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 363-407, July-Sept.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Özden, Çaglar & Spatareanu, Mariana & Neagu, Cristina, 2011.
"Migrant networks and foreign direct investment,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 231-241, March.
- Beata S. Javorcik & Çaglar Özden & Mariana Spatareanu & Cristina Neagu, 2006. "Migrant Networks and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2006-003, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Ozden, Caglar & Spatareanu, Mariana & Neagu, Cristina, 2006. "Migrant networks and foreign direct investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4046, The World Bank.
- Calogero Carletto & Talip Kilic, 2011.
"Moving Up the Ladder? The Impact of Migration Experience on Occupational Mobility in Albania,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(6), pages 846-869.
- Carletto, Calogero & Kilic, Talip, 2009. "Moving up the ladder ? the impact of migration experience on occupational mobility in Albania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4908, The World Bank.
- Derek Neal, 1998.
"The Complexity of Job Mobility Among Young Men,"
NBER Working Papers
6662, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hazans, Mihails & Philips, Kaia, 2011. "The Post-Enlargement Migration Experience in the Baltic Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 5878, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kugler, Maurice & Rapoport, Hillel, 2007. "International labor and capital flows: Complements or substitutes?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 155-162, February.
- Sicherman, Nachum & Galor, Oded, 1990.
"A Theory of Career Mobility,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(1), pages 169-192, February.
- Oded Galor & Nachum Sicherman, 1988. "A Theory of Career Mobility," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 51, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Jan Saarela, 2009. "Return migrant status and employment in Finland," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(5), pages 489-506, October.
- Kupets Olga, 2011. "Brain Gain or Brain Waste? The Performance of Return Labor Migrants in the Ukrainian Labor Market," EERC Working Paper Series 11/06e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Barrett, Alan & O'Connell, Philip J., 2000.
"Is There a Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
135, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alan Barrett & Philip J. O’Connell, 2001. "Is There a Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21.
- Barrett, Alan & O'Connell, Philip, 2000. "Is There A Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2408, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alan Barrett & Philip J. O'Connell, 2000. "Is there a Wage Premium for Returning Irish Migrants?," Papers WP125, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Louka T. Katseli & Robert E.B. Lucas & Theodora Xenogiani, 2006. "Effects of Migration on Sending Countries: What Do We Know?," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 250, OECD Publishing.
- Kahanec, Martin & Shields, Michael P., 2010.
"The Working Hours of Immigrants in Germany: Temporary versus Permanent,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4735, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Kahanec & Michael Shields, 2013. "The working hours of immigrants in Germany: temporary versus permanent," IZA Journal of Migration, Springer;Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit GmbH (IZA), vol. 2(1), pages 1-15, December.
- Alice Mesnard, 2004. "Temporary migration and self-employment: evidence from Tunisia," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 47(1), pages 119-138.
- Stephan Thomsen & Mick Wittich, 2009. "Which one to choose? New evidence on the choice and success of job search methods," FEMM Working Papers 09022, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina & Özden, Çaglar, 2008.
"Brain waste? Educated immigrants in the US labor market,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 255-269, October.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina & Ozden, Caglar, 2005. "Brain waste? Educated immigrants in the U.S. labor market," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3581, The World Bank.
- Ilahi, Nadeem, 1999. "Return Migration and Occupational Change," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 170-186, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtk:febawb:92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Reino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.