Who Pays to Win Again? The Joy of Winning in Contest Experiments
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Sheremeta, Roman M., 2010.
"Experimental comparison of multi-stage and one-stage contests,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 731-747, March.
- Sheremeta, Roman, 2009. "Experimental Comparison of Multi-Stage and One-Stage Contests," MPRA Paper 49884, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roman M. Sheremeta, 2009. "Experimental Comparison of Multi-Stage and One-Stage Contests," Working Papers 09-04, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Min Ding & Jehoshua Eliashberg & Joel Huber & Ritesh Saini, 2005. "Emotional Bidders---An Analytical and Experimental Examination of Consumers' Behavior in a Priceline-Like Reverse Auction," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(3), pages 352-364, March.
- Matthew Rabin & Dimitri Vayanos, 2010.
"The Gambler's and Hot-Hand Fallacies: Theory and Applications,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(2), pages 730-778.
- Rabin, Matthew & Vayanos, Dimitri, 2007. "The gambler's and hot-hand fallacies: theory and applications," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24476, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rabin, Matthew & Vayanos, Dimitri, 2007. "The Gambler's and Hot-Hand Fallacies: Theory and Applications," CEPR Discussion Papers 6081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew Rabin & Dimitri Vayanos, 2007. "The Gambler's and Hot-Hand Fallacies:Theory and Applications," FMG Discussion Papers dp578, Financial Markets Group.
- Philip Brookins & Dmitry Ryvkin, 2014. "An experimental study of bidding in contests of incomplete information," Experimental Economics, Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 17(2), pages 245-261, June.
- Christiane Bradler & Robert Dur & Susanne Neckermann & Arjan Non, 2016.
"Employee Recognition and Performance: A Field Experiment,"
INFORMS, vol. 62(11), pages 3085-3099, November.
- Christiane Bradler & Robert Dur & Susanne Neckermann & Arjan Non, 2013. "Employee Recognition and Performance: A Field Experiment," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-038/VII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bradler, Christiane & Dur, Robert & Neckermann, Susanne & Non, Arjan, 2014. "Employee Recognition and Performance: A Field Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 8311, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Bradler, C. & Dur, R. & Neckermann, S. & Non, J.A., 2013. "Employee recognition and performance: A field experiment," ROA Research Memorandum 004, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Bradler, C. & Dur, R. & Neckermann, S. & Non, J.A., 2013. "Employee recognition and performance: A field experiment," Research Memorandum 017, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
- Bradler, Christiane & Dur, Robert & Neckermann, Susanne & Non, Arjan, 2013. "Employee recognition and performance: A field experiment," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-017, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Christiane Bradler & Robert Dur & Susanne Neckermann & Arjan Non, 2013. "Employee Recognition and Performance: A Field Experiment," CESifo Working Paper Series 4164, CESifo Group Munich.
- S. Cotton, Christopher & Li, Cheng & McIntyre, Frank & P. Price, Joseph, 2015.
"Which explanations for gender differences in competition are consistent with a simple theoretical model?,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 56-67.
- Cheng Li & Christopher Cotton & Frank McIntyre & Joseph P. Price, 2015. "Which Explanations For Gender Differences In Competition Are Consistent With A Simple Theoretical Model?," Working Paper 1342, Economics Department, Queen's University.
- Harald Lang & Florian Morath, 2015. "A Glance into the Tunnel: Experimental Evidence on Income Comparisons under Uncertainty," Working Papers tax-mpg-rps-2015-13, Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance.
- Balafoutas, Loukas & Kerschbamer, Rudolf & Sutter, Matthias, 2012.
"Distributional preferences and competitive behavior,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 125-135.
- Loukas Balafoutas & Rudolf Kerschbamer & Matthias Sutter, 2011. "Distributional Preferences and Competitive Behavior," Working Papers 2011-04, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- David Johnson & Timothy C. Salmon, 2016. "Sabotage versus Discouragement: Which Dominates Post Promotion Tournament Behavior?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 673-696, January.
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0544 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mago, Shakun D. & Sheremeta, Roman M. & Yates, Andrew, 2013.
"Best-of-three contest experiments: Strategic versus psychological momentum,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 287-296.
- Mago, Shakun & Sheremeta, Roman & Yates, Andrew, 2012. "Best-of-Three Contest Experiments: Strategic versus Psychological Momentum," MPRA Paper 43031, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shakun D. Mago & Roman M. Sheremeta & Andrew Yates, 2012. "Best-of-Three Contest Experiments: Strategic versus Psychological Momentum," Working Papers 12-30, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Herbst, Luisa & Konrad, Kai A. & Morath, Florian, 2015.
"Endogenous group formation in experimental contests,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 163-189.
- Herbst, Luisa & Konrad, Kai A. & Morath, Florian, 2013. "Endogenous group formation in experimental contests," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 419, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Herbst, Luisa & Konrad, Kai A. & Morath, Florian, 2013. "Endogenous group formation in experimental contests," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economics of Change SP II 2013-301, WZB Berlin Social Science Center.
- Rachel Croson & James Sundali, 2005. "The Gambler’s Fallacy and the Hot Hand: Empirical Data from Casinos," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 195-209, May.
- Metzger, Lars P., 2015. "Alliance Formation in Contests with Incomplete Information," Ruhr Economic Papers 544, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Bentley Coffey & M. T. Maloney, 2010. "The Thrill of Victory: Measuring the Incentive to Win," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(1), pages 87-112, January.
- Emiko Fukuda & Yoshio Kamijo & Ai Takeuchi & Michiharu Masui & Yukihiko Funaki, 2013. "Theoretical and experimental investigations of the performance of keyword auction mechanisms," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 44(3), pages 438-461, September.
- Roman Kräussl & Ronald Bosman & Thomas van Galen, 2014.
"Emotions-at-Risk: An Experimental Investigation into Emotions, Option Prices and Risk Perception,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
14-11, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Bosman, Ronald & Kräussl, Roman & van Galen, Thomas, 2014. "Emotions-at-risk: An experimental investigation into emotions, option prices and risk perception," CFS Working Paper Series 495, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Kidd, Michael & Nicholas, Aaron & Rai, Birendra, 2013. "Tournament outcomes and prosocial behaviour," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 387-401.
- Brandts, Jordi & Riedl, Arno & van Winden, Frans, 2009. "Competitive rivalry, social disposition, and subjective well-being: An experiment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1158-1167, December.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer;Economic Science Association, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
More about this item
KeywordsBidding; contest; desire to win; effort; experiment; emotions; joy of winning; love of winning; overexpenditure;
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances; Revolutions
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mpi:wpaper:tax-mpg-rps-2016-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hans Mueller). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/mptaxde.html .