Supply response to changes in agricultural commodity prices in Asian countries
The objective of the present study is to examine the extent to which the production of different agricultural commodities, namely, maize, wheat, rice, fruit, vegetable, and oilseeds, responds to price changes in selected Asian countries given the recent high and volatile agricultural prices. Our analysis confirms a strong positive yield response to higher prices in a panel of 10 Asian countries. However, there is considerable variation in the strength and speed of yield responses of these different commodities. We found that the yield response in the current period is strongest for oilseeds. The price of oil has a negative effect on yields of most of the commodities. For wheat, rice, vegetable, and oilseeds, the yield responses weakened after 2000. From a policy perspective, our analysis points to the potential of price policy in inducing a large supply of foodgrains given the high output elasticity of marketed supply.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Janvry, Alain & Fafchamps, Marcel & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1991. "Peasant Household Behaviour with Missing Markets: Some Paradoxes Explained," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1400-417, November.
- Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Ganesh Thapa, 2008. "Transmission of World Commodity Prices to Domestic Commodity Prices in India and China," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 4508, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Kanwar, Sunil, 2006. "Relative profitability, supply shifters and dynamic output response, in a developing economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 67-88, January.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Shilpi, Forhad, 2002.
"The spatial division of labor in Nepal,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2845, The World Bank.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Shilpi, Forhad & Umali-Deininger, Dina, 2007. "Where to sell ? market facilities and agricultural marketing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4455, The World Bank.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Kasryno, Faisal & Perez, Nicostrato D., 1998. "Output response to prices and public investment in agriculture: Indonesian food crops," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Marc Nerlove, 1979. "The Dynamics of Supply: Retrospect and Prospect," Discussion Papers 394, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ivanic, Maros & Martin, Will, 2008. "Implications of higher global food prices for poverty in low-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4594, The World Bank.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004.
"Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin & Bart Minten, 2004.
"Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni & Minten, Bart, 2005. "Increasing returns and market efficiency in agricultural trade," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 406-442, December.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin, 2002. "Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2002-18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minten, Bart, 2003. "Increasing returns and market efficiency in agricultural trade," MTID discussion papers 60, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin & Bart Minten, 2002. "Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade," CSAE Working Paper Series 2002-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Matthew Kofi Ocran & Nicholas Biekpe, 2008. "Agricultural commodity supply response in Ghana," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 224-235, July.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1995. "Testing AR(1) against MA(1) disturbances in an error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 133-151, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:0808. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.