Monetary Integration, Soft Budget Constraints, and the EMU Sovereign Debt Crises
One possible explanation for the European sovereign debt crises is that the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) gave rise to consolidation fatigue or even deliberate over-borrowing. This paper explores the validity of this explanation by studying how three decisive stages in the history of the EMU affected public borrowing in EU member states: the signing of the Maastricht treaty in 1992, the introduction of the Euro in 1999, and the suspension of the SGP in late 2003. The methodology relies on difference-in-difference regressions covering 26 OECD countries over the 1975-2009 period. The ﬁndings indicate that the ﬁrst two 'treatments' reduced deﬁcits especially in traditional high-deﬁcit countries. In contrast, the watering down of the original SGP encouraged borrowing in countries which traditionally have had high deﬁcits.
|Date of creation:||14 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-78457 Konstanz|
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/fb
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/fb|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ludger Schuknecht & Philippe Moutot & Philipp Rother & Jürgen Stark, 2011.
"The Stability and Growth Pact: Crisis and Reform,"
CESifo DICE Report,
Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 9(3), pages 10-18, October.
- János Kornai, 2014.
"The soft budget constraint,"
Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 64(supplemen), pages 25-79, November.
- Doug Miller & A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach, 2006.
"Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors,"
621, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller, 2008. "Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 414-427, August.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller, 2007. "Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors," NBER Technical Working Papers 0344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cooper, Russell W. & Kempf, Hubert & Peled, Dan, 2005.
"Is it is or is it ain't my obligation? Regional debt in a fiscal federation,"
0507, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Russell Cooper & Hubert Kempf & Dan Peled, 2008. "Is It Is Or Is It Ain'T My Obligation? Regional Debt In A Fiscal Federation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1469-1504, November.
- Russell Cooper & Hubert Kempf & Dan Peled, 2005. "Is It Is or Is It Ain't My Obligation? Regional Debt in a Fiscal Federation," NBER Working Papers 11655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galí, Jordi & Perotti, Roberto, 2003.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2011.
"Soft budget constraints and strategic interactions in subnational borrowing: Evidence from the German States, 1975-2005,"
32537, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2012. "Soft budget constraints and strategic interactions in subnational borrowing: Evidence from the German States, 1975–2005," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 114-127.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2009. "Did the Maastricht treaty matter for macroeconomic performance?," MPRA Paper 30106, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Timothy Goodspeed, 2002. "Bailouts in a Federation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 409-421, August.
- Bertrand Candelon & Joan Muysken & Robert Vermeulen, 2010.
"Fiscal policy and monetary integration in Europe: an update,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 62(2), pages 323-349, April.
- Candelon Bertrand & Muysken Joan & Vermeulen Robert, 2008. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe: An Update," Research Memorandum 038, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Candelon Bertrand & Muysken Joan & Vermeulen Robert, 2007. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe: An Update," Research Memorandum 050, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Per Pettersson-Lidbom, 2010. "Dynamic Commitment and the Soft Budget Constraint: An Empirical Test," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 154-79, August.
- Jordi GalÌ & Roberto Perotti, 2003. "Fiscal policy and monetary integration in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 533-572, October.
- Charles Wyplosz, 2006. "European Monetary Union: the dark sides of a major success," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 207-261, 04.
- Lee, Jong-Wha & Shin, Kwanho, 2008.
"IMF bailouts and moral hazard,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 816-830, September.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Schnabel, Isabel & Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2006. "How Do Official Bailouts Affect the Risk of Investing in Emerging Markets?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(7), pages 1689-1714, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:dpteco:1303. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Lisa Green)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.