The European Economic and Monetary Union and Labour Market Reform
We examine whether the EMU has led to greater labour market flexibility, differentiating between reform that enhances the capacity of an economy to adjust to economic shocks and reform that aims to increase long-run output. Based on a panel model and using OECD data on labour market reforms for 27 OECD countries over the period 1994â€”2004, we find that the two types of labour market reform are driven by different variables. Most importantly, our results suggest that the EMU has had no effect on reform that enhances the economyâ€™s capacity to adjust to shocks. Most of our evidence for reform that increases long-run output suggests that the EMU has not affected this type of reform either.
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Potrafke, Niklas, 2010.
"The growth of public health expenditures in OECD countries: Do government ideology and electoral motives matter?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 797-810, December.
- Potrafke, Niklas, 2010. "The growth of public health expenditures in OECD countries: do government ideology and electoral motives matter?," MPRA Paper 24083, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Potrafke, Niklas, 2010. "The growth of public health expenditures in OECD countries: Do government ideology and electoral motives matter?," Munich Reprints in Economics 19280, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sibert, Anne & Sutherland, Alan, 2000. "Monetary union and labor market reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 421-435, August.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2011. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," Review of Economics and Institutions, Università di Perugia, vol. 2(1).
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2010. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," NBER Chapters,in: Europe and the Euro, pages 57-93 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2008. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," Working Papers 344, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2008. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," NBER Working Papers 14479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Bjørnskov & Niklas Potrafke, 2011. "Politics and privatization in Central and Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(2), pages 201-230, 04.
- Nicola Brandt & Jean-Marc Burniaux & Romain Duval, 2005. "Assessing the OECD Jobs Strategy: Past Developments and Reforms," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 429, OECD Publishing.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester & Haan, Jakob de, 2000. "European Monetary and Fiscal Policy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198776161, April.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & de Haan, J., 2000. "European Monetary and Fiscal Policy," Other publications TiSEM a056022b-c6b1-4c89-bcd5-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hans Pitlik, 2008. "The Impact of Growth Performance and Political Regime Type on Economic Policy Liberalization," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 258-278, 05.
- Hans Pitlik, 2007. "The Impact of Growth Performance and Political Regime Type on Economic Policy Liberalization," WIFO Working Papers 300, WIFO.
- Duval, Romain, 2008. "Is there a role for macroeconomic policy in fostering structural reforms? Panel evidence from OECD countries over the past two decades," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 491-502, June.
- Axel Dreher, 2006. "Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- Axel Dreher, 2005. "Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization," TWI Research Paper Series 6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universitï¿½t Konstanz.
- Calmfors, Lars, 2001. "Unemployment, Labor Market Reform, and Monetary Union," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 265-289, April.
- Jakob de Haan & Robert Inklaar & Richard Jong-A-Pin, 2008. "Will Business Cycles In The Euro Area Converge? A Critical Survey Of Empirical Research," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 234-273, 04.
- Haan, Jakob de & Inklaar, Robert & Jong-A-Pin, Richard, 2005. "Will business cycles in the Euro Area converge : a critical survey of empirical research," CCSO Working Papers 200508, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Heylen, Freddy & Everaert, Gerdie, 2000. "Success and Failure of Fiscal Consolidation in the OECD: A Multivariate Analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 105(1-2), pages 103-124, October.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Jochen Mierau & Richard Jong-A-Pin & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Do political variables affect fiscal policy adjustment decisions? New empirical evidence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 133(3), pages 297-319, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)