Do international flights promote FDI? : the role of face-to-face communication
Air transportation facilitates face-to-face interactions across borders for the spatial expansion of manufacturing production. I investigate the impact of international flights on FDI entry by Japanese firms. I find that FDI entry significantly increases with the weekly frequency of flights from Japan, and the positive impact increases with a proxy for an intensity of face-to-face communication between the parent firm and foreign affiliate. The results are robust to estimation methods, additional control variables, and definitions of face-to-face communication. Thus, the results suggest that flights encourage FDI entry through a reduction in face-to-face communication costs.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2016|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper = IDE Discussion Paper, No. 554. 2016-02-01|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545|
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, January.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Endo, Nobuaki, 2007. "International trade in air transport services: Penetration of foreign airlines into Japan under the bilateral aviation policies of the US and Japan," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 285-292.
- Peter J Buckley & Timothy M Devinney & Jordan J Louviere, 2007. "Do managers behave the way theory suggests? A choice-theoretic examination of foreign direct investment location decision-making," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(7), pages 1069-1094, December.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2008. "Getting there fast: globalization, intercontinental flights and location of headquarters," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(4), pages 471-495, July.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Getting there fast: Globalization, intercontinental flights and location of headquarters," Urban/Regional 0511008, EconWPA.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1998. "Financial Dependence and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 559-586, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, "undated". "Financial Dependence and Growth," CRSP working papers 344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996. "Financial Dependence and Growth," NBER Working Papers 5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberta Piermartini & Linda Rousov?, 2013. "The Sky Is Not Flat: How Discriminatory Is the Access to International Air Services?," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 5(3), pages 287-319, August.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004. "Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004. "Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms," Scholarly Articles 3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helble, Matthias, 2014. "The Pacific's Connectivity and Its Trade Implications," ADBI Working Papers 499, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Blyde, Juan & Molina, Danielken, 2015. "Logistic infrastructure and the international location of fragmented production," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 319-332.
- Blyde, Juan & Molina, Danielken, 2013. "Logistics Infrastructure and the International Location of Fragmented Production," MPRA Paper 45749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Simon J. Evenett, 2015. "Value Creation And Trade In 21st Century Manufacturing," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 31-50, 01.
- Micco, Alejandro & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2006. "Competition regimes and air transport costs: The effects of open skies agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 25-51, September.
- Alejandro Micco & Tomás Serebrisky, 2008. "Competition Regimes and Air Transport Costs: The Effects of Open Skies Agreement," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 3688, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Fabrice Defever, 2012. "The spatial organization of multinational firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(2), pages 672-697, May.
- Fabrice Defever, "undated". "The Spatial Organization of Multinational Firms," Discussion Papers 10/29, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Fabrice Defever, 2010. "The Spatial Organization of Multinational Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 3304, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fabrice Defever, 2010. "The Spatial Organization of Multinational Firms," CEP Discussion Papers dp1029, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006. "The Log of Gravity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 641-658, November.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nune Hovhannisyan & Wolfgang Keller, 2015. "International business travel: an engine of innovation?," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 75-104, March.
- Hovhannisyan, Nune & Keller, Wolfgang, 2010. "International Business Travel: An Engine of Innovation?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7829, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nune Hovhannisyan & Wolfgang Keller, 2011. "International Business Travel: An Engine of Innovation?," NBER Working Papers 17100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1970. "The Effect of Traveling Time on the Demand for Passenger Transportation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 377-394, March-Apr.
- Larimo, Jorma, 1995. "The foreign direct investment decision process: Case studies of different types of decision processes in finnish firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 25-55, May.
- Stein, Ernesto & Daude, Christian, 2007. "Longitude matters: Time zones and the location of foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 96-112, March.
- Forsyth, Peter & King, John & Lyn Rodolfo, Cherry, 2006. "Open Skies in ASEAN," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 143-152.
- Zhang, Yahua & Findlay, Christopher, 2014. "Air transport policy and its impacts on passenger traffic and tourist flows," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 42-48.
- Cristea, Anca D., 2011. "Buyer-seller relationships in international trade: Evidence from U.S. States' exports and business-class travel," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 207-220, July.
- Cristea, Anca D., 2011. "Buyer-Seller Relationships in International Trade: Evidence from U.S. States' Exports and Business-Class Travel," MPRA Paper 30347, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Ellis, Christopher J. & Fausten, Dietrich, 2005. "Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 75-91, January.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Christopher J. Ellis & Dietrich Fausten, 2003. "Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-19, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Mar 2003.
- Yeaple, Stephen Ross, 2009. "Firm heterogeneity and the structure of U.S. multinational activity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 206-215, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper554. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Minami Tosa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.