Air transport policy and its impacts on passenger traffic and tourist flows
This paper attempts to derive policy indices to quantify the restrictiveness of the aviation regimes in the Asia-Pacific region, and use the indices to establish the relationship between people movement and liberalisation in policy. Australia and Singapore have the most liberalised environment in this region. Evidence has been found that passenger traffic between city-pairs has been hampered by the restrictive air transport policies. Restrictions on the air transport sector also have a substantial negative impact on bilateral tourist flows. Further liberalisation in this sector could help build up a stronger tourism industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 34 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson, 2010.
"The Gravity Model,"
NBER Working Papers
16576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoekman , Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2008.
"Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4797, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2011. "Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2069-2079.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2009. "Bonus vetus OLS: A simple method for approximating international trade-cost effects using the gravity equation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 77-85, February.
- Geloso Grosso, Massimo & Shepherd, Ben, 2011. "Air cargo transport in APEC: Regulation and effects on merchandise trade," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 203-212, June.
- Melitz, Jacques, 2007.
"North, South and distance in the gravity model,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 971-991, May.
- Rauf Gönenç & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2001.
"Regulation, market structure and performance in air passenger transportation,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 183-227.
- Rauf Gönenç & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000. "Regulation, Market Structure and Performance in Air Passenger Transportation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 254, OECD Publishing.
- Micco, Alejandro & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2006.
"Competition regimes and air transport costs: The effects of open skies agreements,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 25-51, September.
- Alejandro Micco & Tomás Serebrisky, 2008. "Competition Regimes and Air Transport Costs: The Effects of Open Skies Agreement," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 46738, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Samanatha Doove & Owen Gabbitas & Duc Nguyen-Hong & Joe Owen, 2001. "Price Effects of Regulation: Telecommunications, Air Passenger Transport and Electricity Supply," Others 0110004, EconWPA.
- Rey, BelÃ©n & Myro, Rafael L. & Galera, Asun, 2011. "Effect of low-cost airlines on tourism in Spain. A dynamic panel data model," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 163-167.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jaitra:v:34:y:2014:i:c:p:42-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.