Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa: An Application to Ethiopia
Since mid-2000s, Ethiopia has been one of the fastest growing countries in the world. However, productive entrepreneurship in high-value added activities has made limited contributions to this growth, in part because of a weak business environment. Moreover, the low-productive firms in the informal sector still account for a large share of employment. Reflecting these facts, this paper presents a model of costly entrepreneurial start-ups in an economy with a large informal sector and rigid business environment where an equilibrium outcome can be a low-skill, low-productivity trap. By fostering productive start-ups and skilled employment, creation of an enabling business environment could help move the Ethiopian economy into high-productivity equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pinheiro-Alves, Ricardo & Zambujal-Oliveira, João, 2012.
"The Ease of Doing Business Index as a tool for investment location decisions,"
Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 66-70.
- João Zambujal Oliveira & Ricardo Pinheiro Alves, 2010. "The Ease of Doing Business Index as a tool for Investment location decisions," GEE Papers 0030, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Dec 2010.
- Jean-Jacques Dethier & Maximilian Hirn & Stéphane Straub, 2011.
"Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 26(2), pages 258-309, August.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Hirn, Maximilian & Straub, Stephane, 2008. "Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4792, The World Bank.
- Zuzana Brixiova, 2013. "Modeling productive entrepreneurship in developing countries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 183-194, June.
- World Bank, 2007. "Ethiopia - Urban Labor Markets : Challenges and Prospects, Volume 2. Background Paper," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7994, The World Bank.
- P. Diamond, 1980.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
268, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- repec:cep:stieop:43 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Reforms in Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2001.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction and Employment Growth in Transition Countries in the 90's,"
IZA Discussion Papers
242, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2003. "Job creation, job destruction and employment growth in transition countries in the 90s," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Ayal Kimhi, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and income inequality in southern Ethiopia,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 81-91, January.
- Kimhi, Ayal, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Income Inequality in Southern Ethiopia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kimhi, Ayal, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Income Inequality in Southern Ethiopia," Discussion Papers 47505, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Bruton, Garry D. & Ketchen, David J. & Ireland, R. Duane, 2013. "Entrepreneurship as a solution to poverty," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 683-689.
- Mulu Gebreeyesus, 2008. "Firm turnover and productivity differentials in Ethiopian manufacturing," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 113-129, April.
- Douglas Gollin, 2001.
"Nobody's Business but My Own: Self Employment and Small Enterprise in Economic Development,"
Center for Development Economics
172, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Gollin, Douglas, 2008. "Nobody's business but my own: Self-employment and small enterprise in economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 219-233, March.
- Martins, Pedro, 2014. "Structural change in Ethiopia : an employment perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6749, The World Bank.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mthuli Ncube, 2005. "Economic Growth, Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa," Working Papers 30, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & John E. Akoten & Keijiro Otsuka, 2009. "An Exploration into the Successful Development of the Leather-Shoe Industry in Ethiopia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 719-736, November.
- Mitra, Pradeep & Muravyev, Alexander & Schaffer, Mark E., 2009. "Convergence in institutions and market outcomes: cross-country and time-series evidence from the business environment and enterprise performance surveys in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4819, The World Bank.
- Oriana Bandiera & Narayan Das & Robin Burgess & Selim Gulesci & Munshi Sulaiman & Imran Rasul, 2013.
"Can basic entrepreneurship transform the economic lives of the poor?,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
58032, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oriana Bandiera & Robin Burgess & Narayan Das & Selim Gulesci & Imran Rasul & Munshi Sulaiman, 2013. "Can Basic Entrepreneurship Transform the Economic Lives of the Poor?," STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series 043, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Burgess, Robin & Das, Narayan & Gulesci, Selim & Rasul, Imran & Sulaiman, Munshi, 2013. "Can Basic Entrepreneurship Transform the Economic Lives of the Poor?," IZA Discussion Papers 7386, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paloma Lopez-Garcia, 2009. "Business Environment and Labor Market Outcomes in European and Central Asian Countries," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 12(4), pages 35-67 , Spring.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- World Bank, 2009. "Ethiopia - Toward the Competitive Frontier : Strategies for Improving Ethiopia’s Investment Climate," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3076, The World Bank.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1985. "Short-run Equilibrium Dynamics of Unemployment Vacancies, and Real Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 676-90, September.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia; Staff Report for the 2012 Article IV Consultation," IMF Staff Country Reports 12/287, International Monetary Fund.
- Brixiová, Zuzana & Égert, Balázs, 2012. "Business Environment, Start-Ups, And Productivity During Transition," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S2), pages 213-231, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7553. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.