Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa: An Application to Ethiopia
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Zuzana Brixiová & Mthuli Ncube, 2015. "Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa: An Application to Ethiopia," SALDRU Working Papers 146, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:cep:stieop:43 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ayal Kimhi, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and income inequality in southern Ethiopia,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 81-91, January.
- Kimhi, Ayal, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Income Inequality in Southern Ethiopia," WIDER Working Paper Series 005, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kimhi, Ayal, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Income Inequality in Southern Ethiopia," Discussion Papers 47505, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Mortensen, Dale & Pissarides, Christopher, 2011.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 1-19.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & John E. Akoten & Keijiro Otsuka, 2009. "An Exploration into the Successful Development of the Leather-Shoe Industry in Ethiopia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 719-736, November.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia; Staff Report for the 2012 Article IV Consultation," IMF Staff Country Reports 12/287, International Monetary Fund.
- Paloma Lopez-Garcia, 2009. "Business Environment and Labor Market Outcomes in European and Central Asian Countries," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 12(4), pages 35-67, Spring.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998. "What Makes an Entrepreneur?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Pinheiro-Alves, Ricardo & Zambujal-Oliveira, João, 2012.
"The Ease of Doing Business Index as a tool for investment location decisions,"
Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 66-70.
- João Zambujal Oliveira & Ricardo Pinheiro Alves, 2010. "The Ease of Doing Business Index as a tool for Investment location decisions," GEE Papers 0030, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia, revised Dec 2010.
- João Zambujal-Oliveira & Ricardo Pinheiro-Alves, 2011. "The Ease of Doing Business Index as a Tool for Investment Location Decisions," Working Papers 2011.2, International Network for Economic Research - INFER.
- Zuzana Brixiova, 2013. "Modeling productive entrepreneurship in developing countries," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 183-194, June.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2003.
"Job creation, job destruction and employment growth in transition countries in the 90s,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2001. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Employment Growth in Transition Countries in the 90's," IZA Discussion Papers 242, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- World Bank, 2009. "Ethiopia - Toward the Competitive Frontier : Strategies for Improving Ethiopia’s Investment Climate," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3076, The World Bank.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 881-894, October.
- Brixiová, Zuzana & Égert, Balázs, 2012. "Business Environment, Start-Ups, And Productivity During Transition," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S2), pages 213-231, September.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Reforms in Developing Countries," WIDER Working Paper Series 004, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Oriana Bandiera & Robin Burgess & Narayan Das & Selim Gulesci & Imran Rasul & Munshi Sulaiman, 2013.
"Can Basic Entrepreneurship Transform the Economic Lives of the Poor?,"
STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series
043, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Das, Narayan & Burgess, Robin & Gulesci, Selim & Sulaiman, Munshi & Rasul, Imran, 2013. "Can basic entrepreneurship transform the economic lives of the poor?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 58032, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Burgess, Robin & Das, Narayan & Gulesci, Selim & Rasul, Imran & Sulaiman, Munshi, 2013. "Can Basic Entrepreneurship Transform the Economic Lives of the Poor?," IZA Discussion Papers 7386, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mulu Gebreeyesus, 2008. "Firm turnover and productivity differentials in Ethiopian manufacturing," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 113-129, April.
- Mitra, Pradeep & Muravyev, Alexander & Schaffer, Mark E., 2009. "Convergence in institutions and market outcomes: cross-country and time-series evidence from the business environment and enterprise performance surveys in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4819, The World Bank.
- Bruton, Garry D. & Ketchen, David J. & Ireland, R. Duane, 2013. "Entrepreneurship as a solution to poverty," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 683-689.
- Jean-Jacques Dethier & Maximilian Hirn & Stéphane Straub, 2011.
"Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 26(2), pages 258-309, August.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Hirn, Maximilian & Straub, Stephane, 2008. "Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4792, The World Bank.
- Mthuli Ncube, 2005. "Economic Growth, Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa," Working Papers 30, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Gollin, Douglas, 2008.
"Nobody's business but my own: Self-employment and small enterprise in economic development,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 219-233, March.
- Douglas Gollin, 2001. "Nobody's Business but My Own: Self Employment and Small Enterprise in Economic Development," Center for Development Economics 172, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- World Bank, 2007. "Ethiopia - Urban Labor Markets : Challenges and Prospects, Volume 2. Background Paper," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7994, The World Bank.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1985. "Short-run Equilibrium Dynamics of Unemployment Vacancies, and Real Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 676-690, September.
- Martins, Pedro, 2014. "Structural change in Ethiopia : an employment perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6749, The World Bank.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brixiová, Zuzana & Ncube, Mthuli & Bicaba, Zorobabel, 2015.
"Skills and Youth Entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with Evidence from Swaziland,"
Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 11-26.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Mthuli Ncube & Zorobabel Bicaba, 2014. "Skills and youth entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with evidence from Swaziland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1077, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Ncube, Mthuli & Bicaba, Zorobabel, 2014. "Skills and youth entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with evidence from Swaziland," WIDER Working Paper Series 131, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Ncube, Mthuli & Bicaba, Zorobabel, 2014. "Skills and Youth Entrepreneurship in Africa: Analysis with Evidence from Swaziland," IZA Discussion Papers 8192, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
More about this item
Keywordsentrepreneurship; SME start-ups; low productivity trap; multiple equilibria; Africa;
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J48 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Particular Labor Markets; Public Policy
- O17 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-08-31 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2013-08-31 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-IUE-2013-08-31 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2013-08-31 (Small Business Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7553. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.