Unions, Wage Gaps, and Wage Dispersion: New Evidence from the Americas
Using a common methodology, the effects of unions on wage levels and wage dispersion are estimated for two neighboring countries, Bolivia and Chile, and for the U.S. The analysis shows that unions have broadly similar effects on the wage distribution within these three economies. The findings suggest that the political economy of unions, coupled with market constraints on labor costs, produce commonality in union wage effects that transcend other economic and institutional differences.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Publication status:||published in: Industrial Relations, 2014, 53 (1), 1-27.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oscar Landerretche & Nicolás Lillo & Esteban Puentes, 2013.
"The Union Effect on Wages in Chile: A Two-Stage Approach Using Panel Data,"
CEIS, vol. 27(2), pages 164-191, June.
- Óscar Landerretche & Nicolás Lillo & Esteban Puentes, 2011. "The Union Effect on Wages in Chile: A Two-Stage Approach Using Panel Data," Working Papers wp332, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux & W. Craig Riddell, 2004. "Unions and Wage Inequality," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(4), pages 519-562, October.
- Fortin, Nicole & Lemieux, Thomas & Firpo, Sergio, 2011. "Decomposition Methods in Economics," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier.
- Nicole Fortin & Thomas Lemieux & Sergio Firpo, 2010. "Decomposition Methods in Economics," NBER Working Papers 16045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William E. Even & David A. Macpherson, 2012. "Is Bigger Still Better? The Decline of the Wage Premium at Large Firms," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1181-1201, April.
- Even, William E. & Macpherson, David A., 2009. "Is Bigger Still Better? The Decline of the Wage Premium at Large Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 4082, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arbache, Jorge Saba & Carneiro, Francisco Galrao, 1999. "Unions and Interindustry Wage Differentials," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1875-1883, October.
- Wessels, Walter J, 1994. "Do Unionized Firms Hire Better Workers?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(4), pages 616-629, October.
- Lucas Ronconi, 2012. "Globalization, Domestic Institutions, and Enforcement of Labor Law: Evidence from Latin America," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 89-105, January.
- James T. Bennett & Bruce E. Kaufman, 2004. "What Do Unions Do?: A Twenty-Year Perspective," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 339-350, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)