Apprenticeship Training and the Business Cycle
Dual apprenticeship training is a market-driven form of education at the upper secondary level, taking place in firms as well as in vocational schools. So far, little is known about the impact of the business cycle on the number of apprenticeship programs offered by firms. Using panel-data of Swiss cantons from 1988-2004, we find that the influence of the business cycle is statistically significant, but small in size. Instead, supply of apprenticeship programs is driven to a much greater extent by demographic change. Conversely, the number of first-year high school students is not affected by the business cycle. We find, however, that enrollment increases if the population at age 16 grows, but access to high schools does not become more restricted in times of negative growth.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Empirical Research in Vocational Education and Training, 2009, 1(2), 173-186|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bassanini & Giorgio Brunello, 2011.
"Barriers to Entry, Deregulation and Workplace Training,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0137, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Bassanini, Andrea & Brunello, Giorgio, 2007. "Barriers to Entry, Deregulation and Workplace Training," IZA Discussion Papers 2746, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Majumdar, Sumon, 2007.
"Market conditions and worker training: How does it affect and whom?,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Sumon Majumdar, 2006. "Market Conditions and Worker Training: How Does it Affect and Whom?," Working Papers 1100, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert A. Hart, 2005.
"General human capital and employment adjustment in the Great Depression: apprentices and journeymen in UK engineering,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 169-189, January.
- Hart, Robert A., 2003. "General Human Capital and Employment Adjustment in the Great Depression: Apprentices and Journeymen in UK Engineering," IZA Discussion Papers 799, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Dustmann & Uta Schönberg, 2007. "Apprenticeship Training and Commitment to Training Provision," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0032, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Stevens, Margaret, 1994. "An Investment Model for the Supply of Training by Employers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 556-70, May.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Medio, Alfredo, 2000.
"An Explanation of International Differences in Education and Workplace Training,"
IZA Discussion Papers
114, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brunello, Giorgio & Medio, Alfredo, 2001. "An explanation of international differences in education and workplace training," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 307-322, February.
- Gielen, Anne C. & van Ours, Jan C., 2006.
"Age-specific cyclical effects in job reallocation and labor mobility,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 493-504, August.
- Gielen, A. C. & van Ours, J.C., 2005. "Age-specific Cyclical Effects in Job Reallocation and Labor Mobility," Discussion Paper 2005-86, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gielen, Anne & van Ours, Jan C, 2005. "Age-Specific Cyclical Effects in Job Reallocation and Labour Mobility," CEPR Discussion Papers 5161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gielen, Anne C. & van Ours, Jan C., 2005. "Age-Specific Cyclical Effects in Job Reallocation and Labor Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 1670, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marc Blatter & Samuel Muehlemann & Samuel Schenker, 2008.
"The Costs of Hiring Skilled Workers,"
Economics of Education Working Paper Series
0015, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Nov 2009.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Booth, Alison L. & Bryan, Mark L., 2003.
"Training in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
933, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Samuel Muehlemann & Juerg Schweri & Rainer Winkelmann & Stefan C. Wolter, 2007.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Decision to Train Apprentices,"
CEIS, vol. 21(3), pages 419-441, 09.
- Samuel Muehlemann & Stefan C. Wolter & Jürg Schweri & Rainer Winkelmann, 2007. "An empirical analysis of the decision to train apprentices," Economics of Education Working Paper Series 0005, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Wolter, Stefan C. & Mühlemann, Samuel & Schweri, Jürg, 2003.
"Why Some Firms Train Apprentices and Many Others Do Not,"
IZA Discussion Papers
916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stefan C. Wolter & Samuel Mühlemann & Jürg Schweri, 2006. "Why Some Firms Train Apprentices and Many Others Do Not," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 249-264, 08.
- Cihan Bilginsoy, 2003. "The Hazards of Training: Attrition and Retention in Construction Industry Apprenticeship Programs," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(1), pages 54-67, October.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:2/3:p:149-167 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eme:rlepps:v:18:y:1999:i:1999:p:359-375 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schweri, Juerg & Mueller, Barbara, 2007. "Why has the share of training firms declined in Switzerland?," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(2/3), pages 149-167.
- Brunello, Giorgio, 2009. "The Effect of Economic Downturns on Apprenticeships and Initial Workplace Training: A Review of the Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 4326, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jan Erik Askilden & Oivind Anti Nilsen, 2005. "Apprentices And Young Workers: A Study Of The Norwegian Youth Labour Market," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(1), pages 1-17, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.