Real Wage Cyclicality in Italy
This paper analyzes the cyclical behaviour of male real wages in Italy using the European Community Household Panel 1994-2001. We distinguish between job stayers (remaining in the same job), and within- and between-company job movers. Stayers are the large majority. We find stayers in Northern Italy to have high cyclicality of real wages, higher in fact than the US and the UK. The Northern cyclicality is significant for all sub-samples (except for public sector workers), and higher in small firms, the private sector, and for temporary workers, as expected. In contrast, we find little wage cyclicality for any sub-group in the Centre-South, even for workers in small private sector firms. Evidently, labour markets in the North of Italy operate much more competitively than in the Centre and South.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Labour, 22 (4), 2008, 569 - 591|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Solon, Gary & Barsky, Robert & Parker, Jonathan A, 1994.
"Measuring the Cyclicality of Real Wages: How Important Is Composition Bias?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Gary Solon & Robert Barsky & Jonathan A. Parker, 1992. "Measuring the Cyclicality of Real Wages: How Important is Composition Bias," NBER Working Papers 4202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donggyun Shin & Gary Solon, 2006.
"New Evidence on Real Wage Cyclicality within Employer-Employee Matches,"
NBER Working Papers
12262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donggyun Shin & Gary Solon, 2007. "New Evidence On Real Wage Cyclicality Within Employer-Employee Matches," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(5), pages 648-660, November.
- Robert A. Hart, 2006.
"Worker-Job Matches, Job Mobility and Real Wage Cyclicality,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 73(290), pages 287-298, 05.
- Hart, Robert A., 2003. "Worker-Job Matches, Job Mobility, and Real Wage Cyclicality," IZA Discussion Papers 881, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul J. Devereux & Robert A. Hart, 2006.
"Real wage cyclicality of job stayers, within-company job movers, and between-company job movers,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(1), pages 105-119, October.
- Devereux, Paul J. & Hart, Robert A., 2005. "Real Wage Cyclicality of Job Stayers, Within-Company Job Movers, and Between-Company Job Movers," IZA Discussion Papers 1651, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2001.
"Nominal Wage Rigidity and the Rate of Inflation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0489, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Wolfgang Ochel, 2003.
"Decentralising Wage Bargaining in Germany – A Way to Increase Employment?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1069, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wolfgang Ochel, 2005. "Decentralizing Wage Bargaining in Germany - A Way to Increase Employment?," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 19(1), pages 91-121, 03.
- Barlevy, Gadi, 2001. "Why Are the Wages of Job Changers So Procyclical?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(4), pages 837-78, October.
- Bils, Mark J, 1985. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 666-89, August.
- Beaudry, Paul & DiNardo, John, 1991. "The Effect of Implicit Contracts on the Movement of Wages over the Business Cycle: Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 665-88, August.
- Shin, Donggyun, 1994. "Cyclicality of real wages among young men," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 137-142, October.
- Darren Grant, 2003.
"The effect of implicit contracts on the movement of wages over the business cycle: Evidence from the national longitudinal surveys,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(3), pages 393-408, April.
- Darren Grant, 2003. "The Effect of Implicit Contracts on the Movement of Wages over the Business Cycle: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Surveys," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(3), pages 393-408, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2465. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.