Worker-Job Matches, Job Mobility, and Real Wage Cyclicality
Using the British New Earnings Survey Panel Data from 1980 to 2001, this paper examines male and female real wage cyclicality. Estimation is undertaken separately for job stayers and job movers. A unique data advantage compared to earlier studies is that movers are defined by job changes both within and between companies. Core estimates concern real hourly standard wage rates. Special features include (a) differentiating between white- and blue-collar workers, (b) delineating job stayers by length of job tenure, (c) examining the cyclicality of the average overtime premium, (d) distinguishing between hourly wage earnings and hourly wage rates. Wage cyclicality in Britain is found to be significantly greater than comparable United States estimates.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Publication status:||published in: Economica, 2006, 73 (290), 287-298|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob Mincer & Boyan Jovanovic, 1981.
"Labor Mobility and Wages,"
in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 21-64
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card, 1995.
"The Wage Curve: A Review,"
722, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robert H. Topel & Michael P. Ward, 1992. "Job Mobility and the Careers of Young Men," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 439-479.
- Paul J. Devereux, 2001.
"The cyclicality of real wages within employer-employee matches,"
Open Access publications
10197/312, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Paul J. Devereux, 2001. "The Cyclicality of Real Wages within Employer-Employee Matches," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(4), pages 835-850, July.
- Robert A Hart & Robin J Ruffell, 1992.
"The Cost of Overtime Hours in British Production Industries,"
Working Papers Series
92/1, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Hart, Robert A & Ruffell, Robin J, 1993. "The Cost of Overtime Hours in British Production Industries," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(238), pages 183-201, May.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1985.
"Implicit Contracts: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 1144-1175, September.
- Bils, Mark J, 1985. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 666-689, August.
- Ann P. Bartel & George J. Borjas, 1978.
"Wage Growth and Job Turnover: An Empirical Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
0285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ann P. Bartel & George J. Borjas, 1981. "Wage Growth and Job Turnover: An Empirical Analysis," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 65-90 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp881. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.