Real wage cyclicality in urban China
This paper investigates the cyclical behaviour of real wages in urban China using the China Health and Nutrition Survey (CHNS) 1989-2006. Using changes in the unemployment rate as the cyclical measure, we find pro-cyclicality in the public sector and small/medium firms, but not in big firms. We also find real wages of male, high educated or ever married workers are flexible. Including bonuses increases the pro-cyclicality of regular wages.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Economics Letters 2.115(2012): pp. 141-143|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard B. Freeman, 2008.
"Labor market institutions around the world,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19647, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Paul J. Devereux & Robert A. Hart, 2006.
"Real Wage Cyclicality of Job Stayers, Within-Company Job Movers, and Between-Company Job Movers,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(1), pages 105-119, October.
- Paul J. Devereux & Robert A. Hart, 2005. "Real wage cyclicality of job stayers, within-company job movers, and between-company job movers," Open Access publications 10197/745, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Robert A. Hart & Paul J. Devereux, 2006. "Real wage cyclicality of job stayers, within-company job movers, and between-company job movers," Open Access publications 10197/314, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Devereux, Paul J. & Hart, Robert A., 2005. "Real Wage Cyclicality of Job Stayers, Within-Company Job Movers, and Between-Company Job Movers," IZA Discussion Papers 1651, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gary Solon & Warren Whatley & Ann Huff Stevens, 1997. "Wage Changes and Intrafirm Job Mobility over the Business Cycle: Two Case Studies," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(3), pages 402-415, April.
- Lora Sabin, 1999. "The development of urban labour markets: China's urban wage curve, 1980-92," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 134-152.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1987.
"Sticky Prices as Coordination Failure,"
NBER Working Papers
2327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Appleton, Simon & Song, Lina & Xia, Qingjie, 2005. "Has China crossed the river? The evolution of wage structure in urban China during reform and retrenchment," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 644-663, December.
- Gary Solon & Robert Barsky & Jonathan A. Parker, 1992.
"Measuring the Cyclicality of Real Wages: How Important is Composition Bias,"
NBER Working Papers
4202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Solon & Robert Barsky & Jonathan A. Parker, 1994. "Measuring the Cyclicality of Real Wages: How Important is Composition Bias?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(1), pages 1-25.
- Paul J. Devereux, 2001.
"The cyclicality of real wages within employer-employee matches,"
Open Access publications
10197/312, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Paul J. Devereux, 2001. "The Cyclicality of Real Wages within Employer-Employee Matches," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(4), pages 835-850, July.
- Meng, Xin & Kidd, Michael P., 1997. "Labor Market Reform and the Changing Structure of Wage Determination in China's State Sector during the 1980s," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 403-421, December.
- Fei Peng & W. Stanley Siebert, 2008.
"Real Wage Cyclicality in Italy,"
CEIS, vol. 22(4), pages 569-591, December.
- Shin, Donggyun, 1994. "Cyclicality of real wages among young men," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 137-142, October.
- Zhongmin Wu, 2004. "Wage curve for urban China: a panel data approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(7), pages 425-428.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45418. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.