Estimating VAR-MGARCH models in multiple steps
This paper analyzes the performance of multiple steps estimators of vector autoregressive multivariate conditional correlation GARCH models by means of Monte Carlo experiments. We show that if innovations are Gaussian, estimating the parameters in multiple steps is a reasonable alternative to the maximization of the full likelihood function. Our results also suggest that for the sample sizes usually encountered in financial econometrics, the differences between the volatility and correlation estimates obtained with the more efficient estimator and the multiple steps estimators are negligible. However, when innovations are distributed as a Student-t, using multiple steps estimators might not be a good idea.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael McAleer & Bernardo da Veiga, 2008. "Single-index and portfolio models for forecasting value-at-risk thresholds," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(3), pages 217-235.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hafner, Christian M. & Reznikova, Olga, 2012. "On the estimation of dynamic conditional correlation models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3533-3545.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Christian Hafner & Philip Hans Franses, 2009. "A Generalized Dynamic Conditional Correlation Model: Simulation and Application to Many Assets," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(6), pages 612-631.
- Eric Jondeau & Michael Rockinger, 2005. "Conditional Asset Allocation under Non-Normality: How Costly is the Mean-Variance Criterion?," FAME Research Paper Series rp132, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2009.
"Do We Really Need Both BEKK and DCC? A Tale of Two Covariance Models,"
Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE
0904, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2009. "Do We Really Need Both BEKK and DCC? A Tale of Two Covariance Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-638, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2009. "Do We Really Need Both BEKK and DCC? A Tale of Two Covariance Models," CARF F-Series CARF-F-156, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005.
"A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, . "A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tom Doan, . "LOGMVSKEWT: RATS procedure to compute function for log density of multivariate skew-t distribution," Statistical Software Components RTS00107, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos, 2010.
"Negative Volatility Spillovers In The Unrestricted Eccc-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 838-862, June.
- Christian Conrad & Menelaos Karanasos, 2008. "Negative Volatility Spillovers in the Unrestricted ECCC-GARCH Model," KOF Working papers 08-189, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2003.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Vector Arma-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 280-310, April.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008.
"Multivariate GARCH models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-06, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007. "Multivariate GARCH models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 669, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2008.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2008.
"Positivity constraints on the conditional variances in the family of conditional correlation GARCH models,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 88-95, June.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007. "Positivity Constraints on the Conditional Variances in the Family of Conditional Correlation GARCH Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 675, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Nov 1007.
- Pelletier, Denis, 2006.
"Regime switching for dynamic correlations,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 445-473.
- Denis Pelletier, 2004. "Regime Switching for Dynamic Correlations," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 230, Econometric Society.
- Engle, Robert F. & Granger, C. W. J. & Kraft, Dennis, 1984. "Combining competing forecasts of inflation using a bivariate arch model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 151-165, November.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Michael Mcaleer & Bernardo da Veiga, 2008. "Forecasting value-at-risk with a parsimonious portfolio spillover GARCH (PS-GARCH) model," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(1), pages 1-19.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2012-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.