Do We Really Need Both BEKK and DCC? A Tale of Two Covariance Models
Large and very large portfolios of financial assets are routine for many individuals and organizations. The two most widely used models of conditional covariances and correlations are BEKK and DCC. BEKK suffers from the archetypal "curse of dimensionality" whereas DCC does not. This is a misleading interpretation of the suitability of the two models to be used in practice. The primary purposes of the paper are to define targeting as an aid in estimating matrices associated with large numbers of financial assets, analyze the similarities and dissimilarities between BEKK and DCC, both with and without targeting, on the basis of structural derivation, the analytical forms of the sufficient conditions for the existence of moments, and the sufficient conditions for consistency and asymptotic normality, and computational tractability for very large (that is, ultra high) numbers of financial assets, to present a consistent two step estimation method for the DCC model, and to determine whether BEKK or DCC should be preferred in practical applications.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.carf.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Comte, F. & Lieberman, O., 2003. "Asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 61-84, January.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Manabu Asai & Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2009.
"Block Structure Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models,"
CIRJE-F-699, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Asai, M. & Caporin, M., 2009. "Block Structure Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2009-51, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Manabu Asai & Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Block Structure Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models," Working Papers in Economics 10/24, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Monica Billio & Massimiliano Caporin, 2006.
"A generalized Dynamic Conditional Correlation Model for Portfolio Risk Evaluation,"
2006_53, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Billio, Monica & Caporin, Massimiliano, 2009. "A generalized Dynamic Conditional Correlation model for portfolio risk evaluation," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(8), pages 2566-2578.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Michael McAleer, 2008. "Scalar BEKK and indirect DCC," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(6), pages 537-549.
- Robert Engle & Neil Shephard & Kevin Shepphard, 2008.
"Fitting vast dimensional time-varying covariance models,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2008fe30, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Neil Shephard & Kevin Sheppard & Robert F. Engle, 2008. "Fitting vast dimensional time-varying covariance models," Economics Series Working Papers 403, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Asymptotic Theory for a Vector ARMA-GARCH Model,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0549, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- McAleer, Michael & Chan, Felix & Hoti, Suhejla & Lieberman, Offer, 2008. "Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Correlation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(06), pages 1554-1583, December.
- Bonato, Matteo & Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo, 2012.
"Forecasting Realized (Co)Variances with a Bloc Structure Wishart Autoregressive Model,"
Working Papers on Finance
1211, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Matteo Bonato & Massimiliano Caporin & Angelo Ranaldo, 2009. "Forecasting realized (co)variances with a block structure Wishart autoregressive model," Working Papers 2009-03, Swiss National Bank.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Paolo Paruolo, 2009. "Structured Multivariate Volatility Models," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0091, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Monica Billio & Massimiliano Caporin & Michele Gobbo, 2006. "Flexible Dynamic Conditional Correlation multivariate GARCH models for asset allocation," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 123-130, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfi:fseres:cf156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.