Block Structure Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models
Most multivariate variance models suffer from a common problem, the "curse of dimensionality". For this reason, most are fitted under strong parametric restrictions that reduce the interpretation and flexibility of the models. Recently, the literature has focused on multivariate models with milder restrictions, whose purpose was to combine the need for interpretability and efficiency faced by model users with the computational problems that may emerge when the number of assets is quite large. We contribute to this strand of the literature proposing a block-type parameterization for multivariate stochastic volatility models.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monica Billio & Massimiliano Caporin & Michele Gobbo, 2006. "Flexible Dynamic Conditional Correlation multivariate GARCH models for asset allocation," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 123-130, March.
- Siddhartha Chib & Yasuhiro Omori & Manabu Asai, 2007.
"Multivariate stochastic volatility,"
CIRJE-F-488, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, "undated".
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lehar, Alfred & Scheicher, Martin & Schittenkopf, Christian, 2002. "GARCH vs. stochastic volatility: Option pricing and risk management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 323-345, March.
- Yacine AÏT-SAHALIA, & Michael W. BRANDT, 2001.
"Variable Selection for Portfolio Choice,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp34, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Manabu Asai & Michael McAleer, 2006.
"Asymmetric Multivariate Stochastic Volatility,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 453-473.
- Manabu Asai & Michael McAleer & Jun Yu, 2006. "Multivariate Stochastic Volatility: A Review," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 145-175.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Asymptotic Theory for a Vector ARMA-GARCH Model,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0549, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Jeff Fleming, 2001. "The Economic Value of Volatility Timing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 329-352, 02.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 1995. " Predictability of Stock Returns: Robustness and Economic Significance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1201-1228, September.
- McAleer, Michael, 2005. "Automated Inference And Learning In Modeling Financial Volatility," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 232-261, February.
- Éric Jacquier & Nicholas G. Polson & Peter E. Rossi, 1995. "Models and Priors for Multivariate Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-18, CIRANO.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Nardari, Federico & Shephard, Neil, 2006. "Analysis of high dimensional multivariate stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 341-371, October.
- Asai, Manabu & McAleer, Michael, 2009. "The structure of dynamic correlations in multivariate stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 182-192, June.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Sandmann, Gleb & Koopman, Siem Jan, 1998. "Estimation of stochastic volatility models via Monte Carlo maximum likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 271-301, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2009cf699. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.