Positivity constraints on the conditional variances in the family of conditional correlation GARCH models
In this article, we derive a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for positivity of the vector conditional variance equation in multivariate GARCH models with explicit modelling of conditional correlation. These models include the constant conditional correlation GARCH model of Bollerslev [1990. Review of Economics and Statistics 72, 498-505] and its extensions. Under the new conditions, it is possible to introduce negative volatility spillovers in the model. An empirical example illustrates usefulness of having such conditions in practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2005.
"Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations,"
Research Paper Series
168, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005. "Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 577, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2005.
- Nelson, Daniel B & Cao, Charles Q, 1992. "Inequality Constraints in the Univariate GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(2), pages 229-235, April.
- Tomoaki Nakatani & Timo Terasvirta, 2009.
"Testing for volatility interactions in the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH model,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(1), pages 147-163, 03.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007. "Testing for Volatility Interactions in the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH Model," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 649, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 24 Jan 2007.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-362, July.
- C. Gourieroux, 2007. "Positivity Conditions for a Bivariate Autoregressive Volatility Specification," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(4), pages 624-636, Fall.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Kawakatsu, Hiroyuki, 2006. "Matrix exponential GARCH," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 95-128, September.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2002. "An application of the analogy between vector ARCH and vector random coefficient autoregressive models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 516, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Tsai, Henghsiu & Chan, Kung-Sik, 2008. "A Note On Inequality Constraints In The Garch Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 823-828, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finlet:v:5:y:2008:i:2:p:88-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.