Covariance forecasts and long-run correlations in a Markov-switching model for dynamic correlations
Recently, Pelletier [2006. Journal of Econometrics 131, 445-473] proposed a model for dynamic correlations based on the idea to combine standard GARCH models for the volatilities with a Markov-switching process for the conditional correlations. In this paper, several properties of the model are derived. First, we provide a simple recursion for multi-step covariance forecasts under both Gaussian and Student's t innovations, which is much simpler to implement than the formula presented by Pelletier (2006) for normally distributed errors. Second, we derive expressions for the unconditional covariances and correlations and the cross correlation function of the absolute returns. An application to returns of international stock and real estate markets shows that correlations between these asset classes increased substantially during the recent financial turmoil; moreover, in the regime-switching framework, employing a Student's t distribution improves the forecasting performance the Gaussian.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006.
"Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003. "Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns," Working Paper Series 0204, European Central Bank.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997.
"Properties of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
198, Stockholm School of Economics.
- He, Changli & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999. "Properties of moments of a family of GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 173-192, September.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo, 2004. "An Extended Constant Conditional Correlation Garch Model And Its Fourth-Moment Structure," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(05), pages 904-926, October.
- Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Schmidheiny, Kurt & Wagner, Martin, 2009.
"Multistep predictions for multivariate GARCH models: Closed form solution and the value for portfolio management,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 330-336, March.
- Jaroslava HLOUSKOVA & Kurt SCHMIDHEINY & Martin WAGNER, 2004. "Multistep Predictions for Multivariate GARCH Models: Closed Form Solution and the Value for Portfolio Management," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 04.10, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Stationarity and the Existence of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0535, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2002. "Stationarity and the existence of moments of a family of GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 109-117, January.
- Bera, Anil K. & Kim, Sangwhan, 2002. "Testing constancy of correlation and other specifications of the BGARCH model with an application to international equity returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 171-195, March.
- Denis Pelletier, 2004.
"Regime Switching for Dynamic Correlations,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
230, Econometric Society.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007.
"Testing for Volatility Interactions in the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH Model,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
649, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 24 Jan 2007.
- Tomoaki Nakatani & Timo Terasvirta, 2009. "Testing for volatility interactions in the Constant Conditional Correlation GARCH model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(1), pages 147-163, 03.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Olivier Ledoit & Pedro Santa Clara & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Flexible multivariate GARCH modeling with an application to international stock markets,"
Economics Working Papers
578, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Olivier Ledoit & Pedro Santa-Clara & Michael Wolf, 2003. "Flexible Multivariate GARCH Modeling with an Application to International Stock Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 735-747, August.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Wolf, Michael, 1999. "Flexible Multivariate GARCH Modeling With an Application to International Stock Markets," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt93s6p8gb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2003.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Vector Arma-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 280-310, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2008.
"Positivity constraints on the conditional variances in the family of conditional correlation GARCH models,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 88-95, June.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007. "Positivity Constraints on the Conditional Variances in the Family of Conditional Correlation GARCH Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 675, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Nov 1007.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chung, Sang-Kuck, 2009. "Bivariate mixed normal GARCH models and out-of-sample hedge performances," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 130-137, September.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Francq, Christian & ZakoIÂ¨an, Jean-Michel, 2005. "The L2-structures of standard and switching-regime GARCH models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 115(9), pages 1557-1582, September.
- Engle, Robert & Colacito, Riccardo, 2006. "Testing and Valuing Dynamic Correlations for Asset Allocation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 238-253, April.
- Giamouridis, Daniel & Vrontos, Ioannis D., 2007. "Hedge fund portfolio construction: A comparison of static and dynamic approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 199-217, January.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finlet:v:7:y:2010:i:2:p:86-97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.