Modelling Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with the Double Smooth Transition Conditional Correlation GARCH Model
In this paper we propose a multivariate GARCH model with a time-varying conditional correlation structure. The new Double Smooth Transition Conditional Correlation GARCH model extends the Smooth Transition Conditional Correlation GARCH model of Silvennoinen and Ter¨asvirta (2005) by including another variable according to which the correlations change smoothly between states of constant correlations. A Lagrange multiplier test is derived to test the constancy of correlations against the DSTCC–GARCH model, and another one to test for another transition in the STCC–GARCH framework. In addition, other specification tests, with the aim of aiding the model building procedure, are considered. Analytical expressions for the test statistics and the required derivatives are provided. The model is applied to a selection of world stock indices, and it is found that time is an important factor affecting correlations between them.
|Date of creation:||28 Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008.
"Ergodicity, Mixing, And Existence Of Moments Of A Class Of Markov Models With Applications To Garch And Acd Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1291-1320, October.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2007. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," Economics Series Working Papers 327, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2004. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 573, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 20 Apr 2007.
- Francois Chesnay & Eric Jondeau, 2001.
"Does Correlation Between Stock Returns Really Increase During Turbulent Periods?,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 30(1), pages 53-80, 02.
- Chesnay, F. & Jondeau, E., 2000. "Does Correlation between Stock Returns Really Increase during Turbulent Period?," Working papers 73, Banque de France.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001.
"Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View,"
MEB Series (discontinued)
2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Finance 0310001, EconWPA.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, December.
- Martens, Martin & Poon, Ser-Huang, 2001. "Returns synchronization and daily correlation dynamics between international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1805-1827, October.
- Engle, Robert & Colacito, Riccardo, 2006. "Testing and Valuing Dynamic Correlations for Asset Allocation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 238-253, April.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
NBER Working Papers
8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Hafner, C.M. & van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2005. "Semi-Parametric Modelling of Correlation Dynamics," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2005-26, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Timo Teräsvirta, 2005.
"Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations,"
Research Paper Series
168, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005. "Multivariate Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Smooth Transitions in Conditional Correlations," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 577, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2005.
- Lin, Wen-Ling & Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi, 1994. "Do Bulls and Bears Move across Borders? International Transmission of Stock Returns and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 507-38.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Denis Pelletier, 2004.
"Regime Switching for Dynamic Correlations,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
230, Econometric Society.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006.
"Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003. "Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns," Working Paper Series 0204, European Central Bank.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Bera, Anil K. & Kim, Sangwhan, 2002. "Testing constancy of correlation and other specifications of the BGARCH model with an application to international equity returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 171-195, March.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2008-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.