Measuring Persistence in Volatility Spillovers
This paper analyzes volatility spillovers in multivariate GARCH-type models. We show that the cross-effects between the conditional variances determine the persistence of the transmitted volatility innovations. In particular, the effect of a foreign volatility innovation on a conditional variance is even more persistent than the effect of an own innovation unless it is offset by an accompanying negative variance spillover of sufficient size. Moreover, ignoring a negative variance spillover causes a downward bias in the estimate of the initial impact of the foreign volatility innovation. Applying the concept to portfolios of small and large firms, we find that shocks to small firm returns affect the large firm conditional variance once we allow for (negative) spillovers between the conditional variances themselves.
|Date of creation:||11 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitäts-Str. 31, D-93040 Regensburg|
Phone: +49 941 943-2392
Fax: +49 941 943-4752
Web page: http://www.uni-regensburg.de/wirtschaftswissenschaften/fakultaet
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enzo Weber, 2010.
"Structural Conditional Correlation,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 8(3), pages 392-407, Summer.
- Weber, Enzo, 2009. "Structural Conditional Correlation," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 434, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Abdul Hakim & Michael McAleer, 2009.
"Modelling the Interactions Across International Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
CARF-F-170, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Abdul Hakim & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Modelling the interactions across international stock, bond and foreign exchange markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(7), pages 825-850.
- Abdul Hakim & Michael McAleer, 2009. "Modelling the Interactions Across International Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-663, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Christian Conrad & Menelaos Karanasos, 2008.
"Negative Volatility Spillovers in the Unrestricted ECCC-GARCH Model,"
KOF Working papers
08-189, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos, 2010. "Negative Volatility Spillovers In The Unrestricted Eccc-Garch Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 838-862, June.
- Patricia Chelley-Steeley & James Steeley, 2005. "The leverage effect in the UK stock market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(6), pages 409-423.
- Enzo Weber, 2010.
"Volatility and causality in Asia Pacific financial markets,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(16), pages 1269-1292.
- Enzo Weber, 2007. "Volatility and Causality in Asia Pacific Financial Markets," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-004, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Tsai, Henghsiu & Chan, Kung-Sik, 2008. "A Note On Inequality Constraints In The Garch Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 823-828, June.
- Conrad, Jennifer & Gultekin, Mustafa N & Kaul, Gautam, 1991. "Asymmetric Predictability of Conditional Variances," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 597-622.
- Michael Mcaleer & Bernardo da Veiga, 2008. "Forecasting value-at-risk with a parsimonious portfolio spillover GARCH (PS-GARCH) model," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(1), pages 1-19.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2005.
"Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0541, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Christos Savva & Denise Osborn & Len Gill, 2009. "Spillovers and correlations between US and major European stock markets: the role of the euro," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(19), pages 1595-1604.
- C S Savva & D R Osborn & L Gill, 2005. "Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0515, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- C S Savva & D R Osborn & L Gill, 2005. "Spillovers and Correlations between US and Major European Stock Markets: The Role of the Euro," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 64, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Skintzi, Vasiliki D. & Refenes, Apostolos N., 2006. "Volatility spillovers and dynamic correlation in European bond markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Chang, Chia-Lin & McAleer, Michael & Tansuchat, Roengchai, 2010.
"Analyzing and forecasting volatility spillovers, asymmetries and hedging in major oil markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1445-1455, November.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Roengchai Tansuchat, 2010. "Analyzing and Forecasting Volatility Spillovers, Asymmetries and Hedging in Major Oil Markets," Working Papers in Economics 10/19, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2012. "Qml Estimation Of A Class Of Multivariate Asymmetric Garch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 179-206, February.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Heung Wong & W. Li & Shiqing Ling, 2005. "Joint modeling of cointegration and conditional heteroscedasticity with applications," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 57(1), pages 83-103, March.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Asymmetric volatility transmission in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 747-762, December.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2008.
"Positivity constraints on the conditional variances in the family of conditional correlation GARCH models,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 88-95, June.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007. "Positivity Constraints on the Conditional Variances in the Family of Conditional Correlation GARCH Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 675, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Nov 1007.
- He, Changli & Ter svirta, Timo, 2004. "An Extended Constant Conditional Correlation Garch Model And Its Fourth-Moment Structure," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(05), pages 904-926, October.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos, 2006. "The impulse response function of the long memory GARCH process," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 34-41, January.
- Rittler, Daniel, 2012. "Price discovery and volatility spillovers in the European Union emissions trading scheme: A high-frequency analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 774-785.
- El Hedi Arouri, Mohamed & Jouini, Jamel & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2011. "Volatility spillovers between oil prices and stock sector returns: Implications for portfolio management," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1387-1405.
- N. T. Laopodis, 2003. "Stochastic behaviour of Deutsche mark exchange rates within EMS," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 665-676.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1989. " Information and Volatility: The No-Arbitrage Martingale Approach to Timing and Resolution Irrelevancy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 1-17, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bay:rdwiwi:28043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gernot Deinzer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.