Spillovers and correlations between US and major European stock markets: the role of the euro
This article investigates the impact of the introduction of the euro on the interactions across the New York, London, Frankfurt and Paris stock markets. After controlling for possible returns and volatility spillovers, we focus on the correlations of shocks using the framework of Dynamic Conditional Correlations (DCC). Daily pseudo-closing prices (recorded at 16:00 London time) are used to avoid conflating correlation and spillover effects. Statistical break tests confirm that the introduction of the euro significantly affects the cross-market correlations. Although dynamic correlations of shocks between all market pairs increase, the correlation in the post-euro period is highest between Frankfurt and Paris, indicating increased integration of these markets. Other findings include the presence of spillover effects from foreign markets for both returns and volatilities, with asymmetries in volatilities and conditional correlations such that negative shocks have larger effects than positive ones.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 19 (2009)
Issue (Month): 19 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 2001.
"Equity Price Dynamics Before and After the Introduction of the Euro: A Note,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
420, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Frank Westermann, 2001. "Equity Price Dynamics Before and After the Introduction of the Euro: A Note," Multinational Finance Journal, Multinational Finance Journal, vol. 5(2), pages 113-128, June.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Antonios Antoniou & Gioia Pescetto & Antonis Violaris, 2003. "Modelling International Price Relationships and Interdependencies Between the Stock Index and Stock Index Futures Markets of Three EU Countries: A Multivariate Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5-6), pages 645-667.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-1778, December.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Westermann, Frank, 2001. "Equity Price Dynamics Before and After the Introduction of the Euro," Discussion Papers in Economics 17, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Theodossiou, Panayiotis & Lee, Unro, 1993.
"Mean and Volatility Spillovers across Major National Stock Markets: Further Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 337-350, Winter.
- Panayiotis Theodossiou & Unro Lee, 1993. "Mean And Volatility Spillovers Across Major National Stock Markets: Further Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 337-350, December.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- A.S.K. Wong & P.J.G. Vlaar, 2003. "Modelling time-varying correlations of financial markets," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 739, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Hafner, C.M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2003. "A generalized dynamic conditional correlation model for many asset returns," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-18, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2003. "Volatility and shocks spillover before and after EMU in European stock markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 323-340, December.
- Dick van Dijk & Haris Munandar & Christian Hafner, 2011.
"The euro introduction and noneuro currencies,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1-2), pages 95-116.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Martens, Martin & Poon, Ser-Huang, 2001. "Returns synchronization and daily correlation dynamics between international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1805-1827, October.
- Lastrapes, William D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Volatility and U.S. Monetary Policy: An ARCH Application," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(1), pages 66-77, February.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Asymmetric volatility transmission in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 747-762, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:19:y:2009:i:19:p:1595-1604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.