Back to the Drawing Board: Exploring Gestalts of Work Design in BPO Firms
This paper formulates a conceptual framework that proposes that certain work designs could contribute to better organizational performance within a sample of outsourcing firms. It explores this proposition using data collected from 60 outsourcing firms across India through survey and semi-structured interviews using principal components factor analysis, ward's minimum variance method and K-means cluster analysis, four dominant patterns or gestalts of outsourcing firms are identified, namely, involvement, directed intervention, embedded control and containment. This research makes some important contributions towards understanding outsourcing firms. It demonstrates that work designs can take a variety of forms. While involvement and containment designs have been studied in prior literature, two new work designs emerge, namely, directed intervention and embedded control. This paper also contributes to the academic realm. It follows research precedents set in general organizational literature, but which have not been used in the context of outsourcing firms. Just as the theoretical foundation of this study draws from the areas of outsourcing, organization theory and strategic human resource management, so also can the findings of this study be used in research in these disciplines.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 91 79 2630 7241|
Fax: 91 79 2630 6896
Web page: http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/publications
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Callaghan, 2002. "'We Recruit Attitude': The Selection and Shaping of Routine Call Centre Labour," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 233-254, 03.
- Johnson, James C. & Schneider, Kenneth C., 1995. "Outsourcing in distribution: The growing importance of transportation brokers," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 40-48.
- Yukako Ono, 2002.
"Outsourcing business services and the role of central administrative offices,"
Working Paper Series
WP-02-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ono, Yukako, 2003. "Outsourcing business services and the role of central administrative offices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 377-395, May.
- Jeff Hyman & Chris Baldry & Dora Scholarios & Dirk Bunzel, 2003. "Work-Life Imbalance in Call Centres and Software Development," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 215-239, 06.
- M. Bensaou & N. Venkatraman, 1995. "Configurations of Interorganizational Relationships: A Comparison Between U.S. and Japanese Automakers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1471-1492, September.
- Rosemary Batt, 1999. "Work Organization, Technology, and Performance in Customer Service and Sales," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(4), pages 539-564, July.
- Masao Nakamura & Hiroyuki Odagiri, 2003. "Transaction costs and capabilities as determinants of the R&D boundaries of the firm: a case study of the ten largest pharmaceutical firms in Japan," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2-3), pages 187-211.
- Gale, Bradley T, 1972. "Market Share and Rate of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(4), pages 412-23, November.
- Henry Kaiser, 1970. "A second generation little jiffy," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 35(4), pages 401-415, December.
- James Wickham & Gráinne Collins, 2004. "The call centre: a nursery for new forms of work organisation?," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 1-18, January.
- David E. Guest & Jonathan Michie & Neil Conway & Maura Sheehan, 2003. "Human Resource Management and Corporate Performance in the UK," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 291-314, 06.
- Stephen Deery, 2002. "Work Relationships in Telephone Call Centres: Understanding Emotional Exhaustion and Employee Withdrawal," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 471-496, 06.
- Fey, Carl & Björkman, Ingmar, 2000. "The Effect of Human Resource Management Practices on MNC Subsidiary Performance in Russia," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Business Administration 2000:6, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ward Whitt, 2006. "The Impact of Increased Employee Retention on Performance in a Customer Contact Center," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 235-252, January.
- Stephen Wood & David Holman & Christopher Stride, 2006. "Human Resource Management and Performance in UK Call Centres," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 44(1), pages 99-124, 03.
- Casey Ichniowski & Kathryn Shaw & Giovanna Prennushi, 1995. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity," NBER Working Papers 5333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Noah Gans & Ger Koole & Avishai Mandelbaum, 2003. "Telephone Call Centers: Tutorial, Review, and Research Prospects," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(2), pages 79-141, September.
- John Paul Macduffie, 1995. "Human Resource Bundles and Manufacturing Performance: Organizational Logic and Flexible Production Systems in the World Auto Industry," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(2), pages 197-221, January.
- Glenn Milligan, 1980. "An examination of the effect of six types of error perturbation on fifteen clustering algorithms," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 325-342, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iim:iimawp:9955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.