Asymptotic expansions for some semiparametric program evaluation estimators
We investigate the performance of a class of semiparametric estimators of the treatment effect via asymptotic expansions. We derive approximations to the first two moments of the estimator that are valid to 'second order'. We use these approximations to define a method of bandwidth selection. We also propose a degrees of freedom like bias correction that improves the second order properties of the estimator but without requiring estimation of higher order derivatives of the unknown propensity score. We provide some numerical calibrations of the results.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, M. C. & Sheather, S. J., 1991. "Using non-stochastic terms to advantage in kernel-based estimation of integrated squared density derivatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 511-514, June.
- Hall, Peter & Marron, J. S., 1987. "Estimation of integrated squared density derivatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 109-115, November.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1994. "Asymptotics for Semiparametric Econometric Models via Stochastic Equicontinuity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 43-72, January.
- Oliver Linton, 1994.
"Edgeworth Approximation for MINPIN Estimators in Semiparametric Regression Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1086, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Linton, Oliver, 1996. "Edgeworth Approximation for MINPIN Estimators in Semiparametric Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 30-60, March.
- Powell, James L. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1996. "Optimal bandwidth choice for density-weighted averages," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 291-316, December.
- Oliver Linton & Zhijie Xiao, 2001.
"Second-order approximation for adaptive regression estimators,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
317, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver & Xiao, Zhijie, 2001. "Second-Order Approximation For Adaptive Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 984-1024, October.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra, 1998. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 261-94, April.
- Y. Nishiyama & P. M. Robinson, 2000. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 931-980, July.
- Robinson, P M, 1995. "The Normal Approximation for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 667-80, May.
- Oliver Linton, 1993.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1970. "Approximations to Finite Sample Moments of Estimators Whose Exact Sampling Distributions are Unknown," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 533-41, May.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1988. "Approximate Power Functions for Some Robust Tests of Regression Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 997-1019, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:04/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benita Rajania)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.