Asymptotic expansions for some semiparametric program evaluation estimators
We investigate the performance of a class of semiparametric estimators of the treatment effect via asymptotic expansions. We derive approximations to the first two moments of the estimator that are valid to 'second order'. We use these approximations to define a method of bandwidth selection. We also propose a degrees- of-freedom like bias correction that improves the second order properties of the estimator but without requiring estimation of higher order derivatives of the unknown propensity score. We provide some numerical calibrations of the results.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: LSE Library Portugal Street London, WC2A 2HD, U.K.|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Peter & Marron, J. S., 1987. "Estimation of integrated squared density derivatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 109-115, November.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1988. "Approximate Power Functions for Some Robust Tests of Regression Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 997-1019, September.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1994. "Asymptotics for Semiparametric Econometric Models via Stochastic Equicontinuity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 43-72, January.
- Y. Nishiyama & P. M. Robinson, 2000. "Edgeworth Expansions for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 931-980, July.
- Jones, M. C. & Sheather, S. J., 1991. "Using non-stochastic terms to advantage in kernel-based estimation of integrated squared density derivatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 511-514, June.
- Powell, James L. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1996. "Optimal bandwidth choice for density-weighted averages," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 291-316, December.
- Linton, Oliver, 1996.
"Edgeworth Approximation for MINPIN Estimators in Semiparametric Regression Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 30-60, March.
- Oliver Linton, 1994. "Edgeworth Approximation for MINPIN Estimators in Semiparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1086, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Oliver Linton, 1993. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oliver Linton & Zhijie Xiao, 2001.
"Second-order approximation for adaptive regression estimators,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
317, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver & Xiao, Zhijie, 2001. "Second-Order Approximation For Adaptive Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 984-1024, October.
- Robinson, P M, 1995. "The Normal Approximation for Semiparametric Averaged Derivatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 667-80, May.
- Srinivasan, T N, 1970. "Approximations to Finite Sample Moments of Estimators Whose Exact Sampling Distributions are Unknown," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 533-41, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:2098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.