Foreign Direct Investment, Information Spillover, and Export Decision : The Concentric-Circle Model with Application to Hungarian Firm-Level Data
In this paper, we empirically examine the impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) on the export decision of domestic firms using large-scale panel data from Hungary. In comparison with the conventional model that expresses the export propensity of multinational enterprises (MNEs) with a single variable, the concentric-circle model, considering the nested structure of industrial classification, more precisely specifies the source, extent, and direction of information spillovers from MNEs to indigenous firms. We also confirmed the close relationship between the information spillover effect and the heterogeneity of FDI and domestic firms.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sourafel Girma & David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2004. "Does Exporting Increase Productivity? A Microeconometric Analysis of Matched Firms," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 855-866, November.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001.
"Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
8629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2007. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 837-873, 05.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market entry costs, producer heterogeneity and export dynamics," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 03-10, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Frances Ruane & Julie Sutherland, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Export Spillovers: How Do Export Platforms Fare?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp058, IIIS.
- José Vicente Blanes Cristóbal & Marion Dovis & Juliette Milgram Baleix & Ana I. Moro Egido, 2007.
"Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms,"
07/02, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Blanes-Cristóbal, José Vicente & Dovis, Marion & Milgram-Baleix, Juliette & Moro-Egido, Ana I., 2008. "Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 110-112, November.
- S Lutz & O Talavera & S M Park, 2005.
"Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industry-Wide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0511, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera & Sang-Min Park, 2008. "Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industrywide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(5), pages 82-98, September.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera & Sang-Min Park, 2006. "Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industry-Wide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 594, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2008.
"Multinationals and the creation of Chinese trade linkages,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 596-618, May.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2007. "Multinationals and the Creation of Chinese Trade Linkages," NBER Working Papers 13271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beata Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2006.
"To Share or Not To Share: Does Local Participation Matter for Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark
2006-001, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2008. "To share or not to share: Does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 194-217, February.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2003. "To share or not to share : does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3118, The World Bank.
- Fukunari Kimura & Kozo Kiyota, 2006. "Exports, FDI, and Productivity: Dynamic Evidence from Japanese Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 695-719, December.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "Sunk-Cost Hysteresis," NBER Working Papers 2911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Industrial Linkages and Export Spillovers from FDI," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 105-134, 01.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Csizmadia, P騁er & Ill駸sy, Mikl & Mak鵺 Csaba & Szanyi, Mikl齠, 2011.
"The Nested Variable Model of FDI Spillover Effects Estimation Using Hungarian Panel Data,"
Discussion Paper Series
521, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ichiro Iwasaki & Péter Csizmadia & Mikl�s Illéssy & Csaba Mak� & Mikl�s Szanyi, 2012. "The Nested Variable Model of FDI Spillover Effects: Estimation Using Hungarian Panel Data," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 673-709, October.
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998. "Is Learning by Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico, and Morocco," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hituec:a527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.