Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industry-Wide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing
We investigate the effects of regional and industry-wide foreign presence and foreign direct investment (FDI) on export volumes of Ukrainian manufacturing firms using unpublished panel data from 1996-2000. Foreign presence through FDI may have negative competition effects on domestic firms' performance while, at the same time, domestic firms' productivity may be increased by technology transfer or through training and demonstration effects. From a Cournot competition model including negative competition and positive technology-spillover effects, we derive the hypotheses that foreign presence and foreign investment might positively affect domestic firms' output and exports. Our estimation results support these hypotheses and suggest in particular that large firms and durable-goods producers benefit most from foreign presence and investments.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 2003.
"The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives,"
NBER Working Papers
9489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2003. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives," CEPR Discussion Papers 3775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2003. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives," EIJS Working Paper Series 168, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998.
"Is Learning By Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence From Colombia, Mexico, And Morocco,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947, August.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," NBER Working Papers 5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Yuko Kinoshita, 2000. "R&D and technology spillovers via FDI: Innovation and absorptive capacity," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp163, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1997.
"Technology Gap, Competition and Spillovers from Direct Foreign Investment: Evidence from Establishment Data,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
212, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Fredrik Sjoholm, 1999. "Technology gap, competition and spillovers from direct foreign investment: Evidence from establishment data," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 53-73.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999.
"Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bernard, A., 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," Working papers 97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," NBER Working Papers 6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera, 2004.
"Do Ukrainian Firms Benefit from FDI?,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 77-98, 06.
- Lutz, Stefan H. & Talavera, Oleksandr, 2003. "Do Ukrainian firms benefit from FDI," ZEI Working Papers B 04-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Talavera, Oleksandr & Lutz, Stefan H., 2003. "Do Ukrainian Firms Benefit from FDI?," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-05, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1994.
"Financial Market Imperfections, Firm Leverage, and the Cyclicality of Employment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1060-74, September.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1993. "Financial market imperfections, firm leverage and the cyclicality of employment," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leahy, Dermot & Pavelin, Stephen, 2003. "Follow-my-leader FDI and tacit collusion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 439-453, March.
- Javorcik, Beata S. & Saggi, Kamal & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2004. "Does it matter where you come from? vertical spillovers from foreign direct investment and the nationality of investors," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3449, The World Bank.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002.
"Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2923, The World Bank.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad & Paloni, Alberto & Youssef, Ali, 2001. "Human Capital and FDI Inflows to Developing Countries: New Empirical Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1593-1610, September.
- Jane Hardy, 1998. "Cathedrals in the Desert? Transnationals, Corporate Strategy and Locality in Wroc ^ aw," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 639-652.
- Georges Siotis, 1999.
"Foreign Direct Investment Strategies and Firms' Capabilities,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 251-270, 06.
- Georges SIOTIS, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment Strategies and Firms' Capabilities," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9626, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2002.
"Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2002-14, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd Out Domestic Entrepreneurship?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Yuko Kinoshita, 2000. "R&D and Technology Spillovers via FDI: Innovation and Absorptive Capacity," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 349, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Peter Kirchner, 2000. "The German-Owned Manufacturing Sector in the North-East of England," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 601-617, October.
- Theodore H. Moran, 1998. "Foreign Direct Investment and Development: The New Policy Agenda for Developing Countries and Economies in Transition," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 53.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Aleksynska, Mariya & Gaisford, James & Kerr, William, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in Transition Economies," MPRA Paper 7668, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2003.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:0511. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.