Technology gap, competition and spillovers from direct foreign investment: Evidence from establishment data
Direct foreign investment (DFI) has been argued to be an important channel for international technology diffusion. This has led to extensive liberalisation of DFI regimes in many developing countries, including in Indonesia. Using detailed micro-data from the Indonesian manufacturing sector, we examine the effect on productivity from DFI. The results show DFI to benefit locally-owned establishments, but the effect differs between groups of industries. Spillovers from DFI are found in sectors with a high degree of competition. Moreover, it seems that the larger the technology gap between domestic and foreign establishments, the larger the spillovers.
Volume (Year): 36 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FJDS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Persson, Hakan, 1983. "Foreign investment and spillover efficiency in an underdeveloped economy: Evidence from the Mexican manufacturing industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 493-501, June.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:92:y:1978:i:1:p:1-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Magnus Blomstrom & Jian-Ye Wang, 1989.
"Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer: A Simple Model,"
NBER Working Papers
2958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Jian-Ye & Blomstrom, Magnus, 1992. "Foreign investment and technology transfer : A simple model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 137-155, January.
- Lapan, Harvey & Bardhan, Pranab, 1973. "Localized technical progress and transfer of technology and economic development," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 585-595, December.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Ari Kokko, 1996. "Productivity spillovers from competition between local firms and foreign affiliates," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 517-530.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Multinational Firms, Competition, and Productivity in Host-Country Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(162), pages 176-93, May.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Harrison, Ann & Haddad, Mona, 1993. "Are there dynamic externalities from direct foreign investment? Evidence for Morocco," MPRA Paper 36279, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko & Mario Zejan, 1992. "Host Country Competition and Technology Transfer by Multinationals," NBER Working Papers 4131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jdevst:v:36:y:1999:i:1:p:53-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.