Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?
In analyzing firm entry and exit across Belgian manufacturing industries, this paper presents evidence that import competition and foreign direct investment discourage entry and stimulate exit of domestic entrepreneurs. These results are in line with theoretical occupational choice models, where it is shown that crowding out of domestic entrepreneurs through foreign direct investment works through selection in product and labor markets. However, the empirical results also suggest important long term structural positive effects of FDI on domestic entrpreneurship as a result of learning, demonstration, networking and linkage effects between foreign and domestic firms which tend to moderate or even reverse crowding out effects on domestic entrepreneurship.
|Date of creation:||17 May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reep 1, 9000 Gent|
Phone: +32 9 210 98 99
Fax: +32 9 210 97 00
Web page: http://www.vlerick.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Markusen, 1998. "Multinational Firms, Location and Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 733-756, 08.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & J. MARRON & L. YANG, 1996. "Discussion," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kanbur, S M, 1979. "Of Risk Taking and the Personal Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 769-97, August.
- Oi, Walter Y, 1983. "Heterogeneous Firms and the Organization of Production," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(2), pages 147-71, April.
- Gorecki, Paul K, 1976. "The Determinants of Entry by Domestic and Foreign Enterprises in Canadian Manufacturing Industries: Some Comments and Empirical Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(4), pages 485-88, November.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002.
"Multinational companies and indigenous development: An empirical analysis,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(7), pages 1305-1322, July.
- Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002. "Multinational Companies and Indigenous Development: An Empirical Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leo Sleuwaegen, 1987. "Multinationals, the European Community and Belgium: Recent Developments," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 255-272, December.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2002.
"Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms,"
w200204, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- JosÈ Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2004. "Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 283-298, 04.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F723-39, November.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "An Empirical Assessment of the Proximity-Concentration Tradeoff between Multinational Sales and Trade," NBER Working Papers 4580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(2), pages 165-87, April.
- Carree, M. & Thutik, R., 1993.
"The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry,"
9308-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 1994. "The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 107-16, April.
- Johnson, Peter & Parker, Simon, 1994. "The Interrelationships between Births and Deaths," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 283-90, August.
- Motta, Massimo & Norman, George, 1996.
"Does Economic Integration Cause Foreign Direct Investment?,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 757-83, November.
- Massimo Motta & George Norman, 1993. "Does economic integration cause foreign direct investment?," Economics Working Papers 28, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Shapiro, Daniel & Khemani, R. S., 1987. "The determinants of entry and exit reconsidered," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 15-26, March.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Gort, Michael & Konakayama, Akira, 1982. "A Model of Diffusion in the Production of an Innovation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1111-20, December.
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-73, September.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1990. "Integration and the Competitiveness of Peripheral Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 363, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leo Sleuwaegen & Koen Backer, 2001. "Multinational firms, market integration, and trade structure: What remains of the standard-goods hypothesis?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 137(3), pages 379-403, September.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. " Investment in Entrepreneurial Ability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(4), pages 437-48.
- Mata, Jose, 1993. "Entry and type of entrant : Evidence from Portugal," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-122, March.
- Richard Baldwin, 1988. "Factor Market Barriers are Trade Barriers: Gains From Trade in 1992," NBER Working Papers 2656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geroski, P. A. & Masson, R. T., 1987. "Dynamic market models in industrial organization," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-13, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vlg:vlgwps:2002-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Vandenbroere)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.