The Impact of FDI on Firm’s Performance Across Sectors: Evidence from Ukraine
There are evidences in the literature that FDI impact on enterprises’ performance across three large sectors, i.e. primary, secondary and services, differs substantially. We suggest that these disparities may be due to two factors. First, the weak inter- and intra-sectoral links may prevent the FDI spillovers. Second, sector entry restraints can limit the foreign technology diffusion. Using firm-level data that covers 80% of population in all three sectors we provide some evidence supporting these hypotheses. In particular, horizontal and vertical spillovers a found to have very different impact on firms by sectors. There is an overall positive horizontal spillover effect which is mostly driven by impact in the manufacturing due to the level of competitiveness of that sector. Vertical spillovers are working in the opposite direction and their influence is pronounced for domestic companies in the service sector and for foreign enterprises in the primary sector. Most importantly, the direct FDI effect is the largest in the most restricted primary sector and falls with time in services where substantial liberalization has been undertaken.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Submitted to Journal of Development Economics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kse.org.ua/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beata Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2006.
"To Share or Not To Share: Does Local Participation Matter for Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark
2006-001, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2008. "To share or not to share: Does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 194-217, February.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2003. "To share or not to share : does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3118, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999.
"Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2115, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000. "Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Abdul Khaliq & Ilan Noy, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Sectoral Data in Indonesia," Working Papers 200726, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera & Sang-Min Park, 2008.
"Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industrywide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(5), pages 82-98, September.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera & Sang-Min Park, 2006. "Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industry-Wide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 594, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- S Lutz & O Talavera & S M Park, 2005. "Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industry-Wide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0511, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Renáta Kosová, 2010. "Does FDI Facilitate Domestic Entry? Evidence from the Czech Republic," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 14-29, 02.
- Maurice Kugler, 2006.
"Spillovers From Foreign Direct Investment:Within Or Between Industries?,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003523, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Kugler, Maurice, 2006. "Spillovers from foreign direct investment: Within or between industries?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 444-477, August.
- Maurice Kugler, . "Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment: Within or between Industries?," Borradores de Economia 369, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & DEC, 1994. "Do domestic firms benefit from foreign direct investment? Evidence from panel data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1248, The World Bank.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Chengqi Wang & Zhongxiu Zhao, 2008. "Horizontal and vertical spillover effects of foreign direct investment in Chinese manufacturing," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 8-20, December.
- Subash Sasidharan & A. Ramanathan, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and spillovers: evidence from Indian manufacturing," International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 5-22.
- Lipsey, Robert & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 2004. "Host Country Impacts Of Inward Fdi: Why Such Different Answers?," EIJS Working Paper Series 192, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Richard Harris & Catherine Robinson, 2004. "Productivity Impacts and Spillovers from Foreign Ownership in the United Kingdom," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 187(1), pages 58-75, January.
- Tam Bang Vu & Ilan Noy, 2007. "Sectoral Analysis of Foreign Investment and Growth In the Developed Countries," Working Papers 200725, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers: Evidence from the Spanish experience," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 459-481, September.
- K. Schoors & B. Van Der Tol, 2002. "Foreign direct investment spillovers within and between sectors: Evidence from Hungarian data," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 02/157, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kse:dpaper:26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iryna Sobetska)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.