Parallel Imports and Repair Services
This study explores the effect of parallel imports on both domestic and foreign countries when the producer may refuse to provide repair and maintenance services for parallel imported units, or charge higher prices for those services. This service discrimination makes it possible for the producer to weaken intra-brand competition and reduce the degree of price convergence between countries. If this is the case, both the positive effect of parallel imports on consumers in the destination country and the negative effect on the producer and consumers in the source country become weaker. If the quality of the good depends on the producer’s investment, permitting parallel imports in the presence of the service discrimination could lower the quality, because lower quality leads to a larger price gap between countries. As a result, it is possible that prices increase, consumers lose, and welfare deteriorates in both countries. This negative welfare effect is more likely to emerge as the liberalization of trade in goods proceeds. The prohibition of service discrimination recovers the positive welfare effect.
|Length:||46,  p.|
|Date of creation:||Oct 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Faculty Building II, 2-1, Naka, Kunitachi, 186 - 8601|
Phone: (+81) 42 – 580 - 8604
Fax: (+81) 42 – 580 - 8605
Web page: http://hias.ad.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994.
"Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993. "Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination," Papers 93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Matteucci, Giorgio & Reverberi, Pierfrancesco, 2014. "Parallel trade, product quality, and welfare," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 258-262.
- Li, Changying & Maskus, Keith E., 2006. "The impact of parallel imports on investments in cost-reducing research and development," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 443-455, March.
- Roland Strausz, 2009. "Planned Obsolescence as an Incentive Device for Unobservable Quality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(540), pages 1405-1421, October.
- Michael Waldman, 1996. "Planned Obsolescence and the R&D Decision," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(3), pages 583-595, Autumn.
- Raff, Horst & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2007. "Why parallel trade may raise producers' profits," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 434-447, April.
- Raff, Horst & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2005. "Why Parallel Trade May Raise Producers' Profits," Economics Working Papers 2005-07, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2005. "Why Parallel Trade may Raise Producers Profits," CESifo Working Paper Series 1503, CESifo Group Munich.
- Richardson, Martin, 2002. "An elementary proposition concerning parallel imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 233-245, January.
- Choi Jay Pil, 2001. "Planned Obsolescence As A Signal of Quality," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 59-79.
- Anderson, Simon P & Ginsburgh, Victor A, 1999. "International Pricing with Costly Consumer Arbitrage," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 126-139, February.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GINSBURGH, Victor A., "undated". "International pricing with costly consumer arbitrage," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1373, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Keith E. Maskus & Yongmin Chen, 2004. "Vertical Price Control and Parallel Imports: Theory and Evidence," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 551-570, September.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Yongmin Chen, 2000. "Vertical price control and parallel imports - theory and evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2461, The World Bank.
- Arijit Mukherjee & Laixun Zhao, 2012. "Profitable parallel trade in unionized markets," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 107(3), pages 267-276, November.
- Gene M. Grossman & Edwin L.-C. Lai, 2008. "Parallel imports and price controls," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(2), pages 378-402.
- Gene M. Grossman & Edwin C.-L. Lai, 2006. "Parallel Imports and Price Controls," NBER Working Papers 12423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Lai, Edwin, 2006. "Parallel Imports and Price Controls," CEPR Discussion Papers 5779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hodaka Morita & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2016. "Trade liberalization and aftermarket services for imports," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 62(4), pages 719-764, October.
- ISHIKAWA Jota & MORITA Hodaka & MUKUNOKI Hiroshi, 2014. "Trade Liberalization and Aftermarket Services for Imports," Discussion papers 14065, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Knox, Daniel & Richardson, Martin, 2003. "Trade policy and parallel imports," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 133-151, March.
- Reza Ahmadi & B. Rachel Yang, 2000. "Parallel Imports: Challenges from Unauthorized Distribution Channels," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(3), pages 279-294, March.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2010. "Profit-Enhancing Parallel Imports," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 433-447, July.
- Schwartz, Marius, 1990. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination and Output: Generalizing a Welfare Result," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1259-1262, December.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 2006. "Differential pricing, parallel trade, and the incentive to invest," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 314-324, September.
- Fethke, Gary & Jagannathan, Raj, 2002. "Monopoly with endogenous durability," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1009-1027, June.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2004. "Parallel imports and the pricing of pharmaceutical products: evidence from the European Union," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 1035-1057, September.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2004. "Parallel Import and the Pricing of Pharmaceutical Products: Evidence from the European Union," Working Paper Series 622, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Jeremy Bulow, 1986. "An Economic Theory of Planned Obsolescence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 729-749.
- Hwang, Hong & Peng, Cheng-Hau & Shih, Pei-Cyuan, 2014. "Parallel imports, product innovation and market structures," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 237-245.
- Godfrey Yeung & Vincent Mok, 2013. "Manufacturing and Distribution Strategies, Distribution Channels, and Transaction Costs: The Case of Parallel Imported Automobiles," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(1), pages 44-58, January.
- Kong-Pin Chen & Hung-pin Lai & Ya-Ting Yu, 2014. "Do consumers discount parallel imports?," Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting & Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 58-77, March.
- Jota Ishikawa, 2004. "From Segmented Markets to Integrated Markets: an Analysis of Economic Integration and Antidumping Legislation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 706-722, September.
- Waldman, Michael, 1996. "Durable Goods Pricing When Quality Matters," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(4), pages 489-510, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hiasdp:hias-e-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.