Commodity Taxation and Parallel Imports
We examine the interaction between commodity taxes and parallel imports in a simple two-country model with imperfect competition. While governments determine non-cooperatively their commodity tax rate, the volume of parallel imports is determined endogenously by the retailing sector. We compare the positive and normative implications of having commodity taxes based on destination or origin principle. Origin taxes are shown to have very attractive properties: they lead to lower levels of optimal taxes, they converge as parallel imports increase (while destination taxes diverge), and they lead to higher welfare levels.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Li, Changying & Maskus, Keith E., 2006. "The impact of parallel imports on investments in cost-reducing research and development," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 443-455, March.
- Panos Kanavos & Joan Costa-Font, 2005. "Pharmaceutical parallel trade in Europe: stakeholder and competition effects," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 751-798, October.
- Reza Ahmadi & B. Rachel Yang, 2000. "Parallel Imports: Challenges from Unauthorized Distribution Channels," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(3), pages 279-294, March.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993.
"Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination,"
93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994. "Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Michael Keen & Sajal Lahiri & Pascalis Raimondos-Møller, 2001.
"Tax Principles and Tax Harmonization under Imperfect Competition: A Cautionary Example,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
518, CESifo Group Munich.
- Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis, 2002. "Tax principles and tax harmonization under imperfect competition: A cautionary example," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1559-1568, September.
- Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal, 1998.
"The comparison between destination and origin principles under imperfect competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 323-350, August.
- Michael Keen & Sajal Lahiri, 1994. "The comparison between destination and origin principles under imperfect competition," IFS Working Papers W94/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal, 1994. "The Comparison Between Destination and Origin Principles Under Imperfect Competition," Economics Discussion Papers 10023, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Nicolas Schmitt, 2005.
"Why Parallel Trade may Raise Producers Profits,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1503, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2005.
"Vertical Distribution, Parallel Trade, and Price Divergence in Integrated Markets,"
Working Paper Series
639, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2007. "Vertical distribution, parallel trade, and price divergence in integrated markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 943-970, May.
- Lockwood, B., 2000.
"Tax Competition and Tax Co-Ordination Under Destination and Origin Principles: A Synthesis,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
567, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lockwood, Ben, 2001. "Tax competition and tax co-ordination under destination and origin principles: a synthesis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 279-319, August.
- Haufler, Andreas & Pflüger, Michael, 2007.
"International oligopoly and the taxation of commerce with revenue-constrained governments,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20424, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Haufler & Michael Pflüger, 2007. "International Oligopoly and the Taxation of Commerce with Revenue-Constrained Governments," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(295), pages 451-473, 08.
- Keith E. Maskus, 2000. "Parallel Imports," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(9), pages 1269-1284, 09.
- Grossman, Gene & Lai, Edwin, 2006.
"Parallel Imports and Price Controls,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith E. Maskus & Yongmin Chen, 2004.
"Vertical Price Control and Parallel Imports: Theory and Evidence,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 551-570, 09.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Yongmin Chen, 2000. "Vertical price control and parallel imports - theory and evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2461, The World Bank.
- Yongmin Chen & Keith Maskus, 2005. "Vertical Pricing and Parallel Imports," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18.
- Andreas HaufLer & Guttorm Schjelderup & Frank Stähler, 2005.
"Barriers to Trade and Imperfect Competition: The Choice of Commodity Tax Base,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 12(3), pages 281-300, May.
- Haufler, Andreas & Schjelderup, Guttorm & Stähler, Frank, 2005. "Barriers to trade and imperfect competition: The choice of commodity tax base," Munich Reprints in Economics 20414, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal, 1993. "Domestic tax reform and international oligopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 55-74, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6580. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.