Income based price subsidies and parallel imports
We present a policy game where a Rich country has a higher ability than a Poor country to commit to certain elements of health policy such as providing income related price subsidies and allowing parallel imports (PI). When allowing PI is not a choice for the Poor country, the Rich country allows PI and both countries provide a subsidy to their poorer buyers as the subgame perfect equilibrium policies. However, when the Poor is able to PI a different equilibrium may arise. We show that the ability of the Poor to allow PI might increase welfare in this country even if it is never implemented. We also prove that as the Poor country gets richer, it will not be in their best interest to sign an agreement with the Rich to commit to not allowing PI.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garcia-Alonso, Maria D.C. & Garcia-Mariñoso, Begoña, 2008.
"The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: Effects on the prices of new drugs,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 377-404, March.
- García-Alonso, M. D. C. & Garcia-Marinoso, B., 2007. "The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: effects on the prices of new drugs," Working Papers 07/16, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994.
"Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993. "Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination," Papers 93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Izabela Jelovac & Catalina Bordoy, 2005. "Pricing and Welfare Implications of Parallel Imports in the Pharmaceutical Industry," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-21, January.
- Richardson, Martin, 2002. "An elementary proposition concerning parallel imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 233-245, January.
- Bandyopadhyay, Swapnendu & Acharyya, Rajat, 2006.
"Does input sector liberalization promote quality innovation and exports?,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-462.
- Rajat Acharyya & Swapnendu Bandyopadhyay(Banerjee), 2004. "Does Input Sector Liberalization Promote Quality Innovation and Exports?," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 650, Econometric Society.
- Rajat Acharyya & María D.C. García-Alonso, 2008. "Parallel Imports, Innovations And National Welfare: The Role Of The Sizes Of Income Classes And National Markets For Health Care," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(01), pages 57-79.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2007. "Intellectual Property Rights, Parallel Imports and Strategic Behavior," Working Paper Series 704, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Grossman, Gene & Lai, Edwin, 2006.
"Parallel Imports and Price Controls,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979. "Price competition, quality and income disparities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Rajat Acharyya & María D.C. García-Alonso, 2012.
"Parallel imports, drug innovation and international patent protection: A policy game,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(6), pages 865-894, November.
- Acharyya, Rajat & Garcia-Alonso, Maria, 2009. "Parallel imports, drug innovation and international patent protection: a policy game," MPRA Paper 30159, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2010.
"Commodity taxation and parallel imports,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 153-162, February.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2007. "Commodity Taxation and Parallel Imports," CEPR Discussion Papers 6580, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2007. "Commodity Taxation and Parallel Imports," Working Papers 04-2007, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Acharyya, Rajat & Garcia-Alonso, Maria D.C., 2006. "Self-interested international income redistribution and access to health care innovation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 322-336, June.
- F. M. Scherer & Jayashree Watal, 2002. "Post-TRIPS Options for Access to Patented Medicines in Developing Nations," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 913-939, December.
- Jung Hur & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2006. "Tariff policy and exhaustion of intellectual property rights in the presence of parallel imports," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 549-568, July.
- Acharyya, Rajat, 2005. "Quality discrimination among income constrained consumers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 245-251, February.
- Acharyya, Rajat, 1998. "Monopoly and product quality: Separating or pooling menu?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 187-194, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:22:y:2012:i:1:p:25-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.