Income based price subsidies and parallel imports
We present a policy game where a Rich country has a higher ability than a Poor country to commit to certain elements of health policy such as providing income related price subsidies and allowing parallel imports (PI). When allowing PI is not a choice for the Poor country, the Rich country allows PI and both countries provide a subsidy to their poorer buyers as the subgame perfect equilibrium policies. However, when the Poor is able to PI a different equilibrium may arise. We show that the ability of the Poor to allow PI might increase welfare in this country even if it is never implemented. We also prove that as the Poor country gets richer, it will not be in their best interest to sign an agreement with the Rich to commit to not allowing PI.
Volume (Year): 22 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maskus, Keith E. & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2007. "Intellectual Property Rights, Parallel Imports and Strategic Behavior," Working Paper Series 704, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- F. M. Scherer & Jayashree Watal, 2002. "Post-TRIPS Options for Access to Patented Medicines in Developing Nations," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 913-939, December.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated".
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Acharyya, Rajat, 1998. "Monopoly and product quality: Separating or pooling menu?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 187-194, November.
- Richardson, Martin, 2002. "An elementary proposition concerning parallel imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 233-245, January.
- Jung Hur & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2006. "Tariff policy and exhaustion of intellectual property rights in the presence of parallel imports," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 549-568, July.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2007.
"Commodity Taxation and Parallel Imports,"
04-2007, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Edwin L.-C. Lai, 2008.
"Parallel imports and price controls,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(2), pages 378-402.
- Rajat Acharyya & Swapnendu Bandyopadhyay(Banerjee), 2004.
"Does Input Sector Liberalization Promote Quality Innovation and Exports?,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
650, Econometric Society.
- Bandyopadhyay, Swapnendu & Acharyya, Rajat, 2006. "Does input sector liberalization promote quality innovation and exports?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-462.
- Rajat Acharyya & María D.C. García-Alonso, 2012.
"Parallel imports, drug innovation and international patent protection: A policy game,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(6), pages 865-894, November.
- Acharyya, Rajat & Garcia-Alonso, Maria, 2009. "Parallel imports, drug innovation and international patent protection: a policy game," MPRA Paper 30159, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Rajat Acharyya & María D.C. García-Alonso, 2008. "Parallel Imports, Innovations And National Welfare: The Role Of The Sizes Of Income Classes And National Markets For Health Care," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(01), pages 57-79.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius, 1994.
"Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 167-195, November.
- Malueg, D.A. & Schwartz, M., 1993. "Parallel Imports, Demand Dispersion and International Price Discrimination," Papers 93-6, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- García-Alonso, M. D. C. & Garcia-Marinoso, B., 2007.
"The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: effects on the prices of new drugs,"
07/16, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Garcia-Alonso, Maria D.C. & Garcia-Mariñoso, Begoña, 2008. "The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: Effects on the prices of new drugs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 377-404, March.
- Acharyya, Rajat, 2005. "Quality discrimination among income constrained consumers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 245-251, February.
- Izabela Jelovac & Catalina Bordoy, 2005. "Pricing and Welfare Implications of Parallel Imports in the Pharmaceutical Industry," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-21, January.
- Acharyya, Rajat & Garcia-Alonso, Maria D.C., 2006. "Self-interested international income redistribution and access to health care innovation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 322-336, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:22:y:2012:i:1:p:25-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.