Income-Based Price Subsidies, Parallel Imports and Markets Access to New Drugs for the Poor
In health markets, government policies tend to subsidise poorer groups. The purpose of this paper is to analyse the implications of an income-based subsidy policy on the incentives of countries to implement price arbitrage and of firms to provide market access to poorer groups.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NP|
Phone: +44 (0)1227 827497
Web page: http://www.kent.ac.uk/economics/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Izabela Jelovac & Catalina Bordoy, 2005. "Pricing and Welfare Implications of Parallel Imports in the Pharmaceutical Industry," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-21, January.
- Alan M. Garber & Charles I. Jones & Paul M. Romer, 2006.
"Insurance and Incentives for Medical Innovation,"
NBER Working Papers
12080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Lai, Edwin, 2006.
"Parallel Imports and Price Controls,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richardson, Martin, 2002. "An elementary proposition concerning parallel imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 233-245, January.
- García-Alonso, M. D. C. & Garcia-Marinoso, B., 2007.
"The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: effects on the prices of new drugs,"
07/16, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Garcia-Alonso, Maria D.C. & Garcia-Mariñoso, Begoña, 2008. "The strategic interaction between firms and formulary committees: Effects on the prices of new drugs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 377-404, March.
- Acharyya, Rajat & Garcia-Alonso, Maria D.C., 2006. "Self-interested international income redistribution and access to health care innovation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 322-336, June.
- Stefan Felder, 2006. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination in the Presence of Subsidies," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 419-426, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ukc:ukcedp:0820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tracey Girling)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.