Does Input Sector Liberalization Promote Quality Innovation and Exports?
This paper examines the relationship between input sector liberalization and product quality innovation and export orientation by a LDC firm given the complementarity between high input quality and high product quality. We show that input sector liberalization per se may not induce quality innovation and outward orientation. In fact in some situations ceteris paribus input sector liberalization may increase the odds in favour of low quality production. We show that total output sector liberalization, or surprisingly, a suitable degree of output sector protection then is needed to be combined with input sector liberalization so that quality innovation is induced.
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman, 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
NBER Working Papers
4444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "Gradualism versus Big Bang: Speed and Sustainability of Reforms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1234-47, November.
- Desai, Ashok V., 1980. "The origin and direction of industrial R&D in India," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 74-96, January.
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Wauthy, Xavier, 2001. "Inflicting injury through product quality: how European antidumping policy disadvantages European producers," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 101-116, March.
- Alwyn Young, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2002.
"International Technology Diffusion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clemenz, Gerhard, 1990. "International R&D competition and trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 93-113, February.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1988. "Quality Change under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-46, February.
- Herguera, Inigo & Kujal, Praveen & Petrakis, Emmanuel, 2002. "Tariffs, quality reversals and exit in vertically differentiated industries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 467-492, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:feam04:650. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.