Externalities of national pharmaceutical policy when markets are integrated through parallel trade
This paper studies externalities of nationally determined cost-sharing systems, in particular coinsurance rates (patients pay a percentage of the price), under pharmaceutical parallel trade in a two-country model with a vertical distributor relationship. Parallel trade generates a price-decreasing competition effect in the destination country and a price-increasing double marginalization effect in the source country. An increase of the coinsurance rates in the destination country of the parallel import mitigates the double marginalization effect in the source country. An increase of the coinsurance rate in the source country reinforces the competition effect in the destination country. This may be a case for policy coordination in the European Union.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3, 37073 Göttingen|
Web page: http://www.cege.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aysegul Timur & Gabriel Picone & Jeffrey DeSimone, 2011.
"Has the European union achieved a single pharmaceutical market?,"
International Journal of Health Economics and Management,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 223-244, December.
- Aysegul Timur & Gabriel Picone & Jeffrey S. DeSimone, 2010. "Has the European Union Achieved a Single Pharmaceutical Market?," NBER Working Papers 16261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Szymanski, Stefan & Valletti, Tommaso, 2005.
"Parallel Trade, International Exhaustion and Intellectual Property Rights: A Welfare Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5022, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tommaso Valletti & Stefan Szymanski, 2006. "Parallel Trade, International Exhaustion and Intellectual Property Rights: A Welfare Analysis," CEIS Research Paper 75, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2007.
"Vertical distribution, parallel trade, and price divergence in integrated markets,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 943-970, May.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E., 2005. "Vertical Distribution, Parallel Trade, and Price Divergence in Integrated Markets," Working Paper Series 639, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2007.
"Commodity Taxation and Parallel Imports,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6580, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pecorino, Paul, 2002. "Should the US allow prescription drug reimports from Canada?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 699-708, July.
- Granlund, David & Yesim Köksal, Miyase, 2011. "EU Enlargement, Parallel Trade and Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals - What’s to Blame? Derogation or Perception?," Umeå Economic Studies 831, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Izabela Jelovac & Catalina Bordoy, 2005. "Pricing and Welfare Implications of Parallel Imports in the Pharmaceutical Industry," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-21, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cegedp:178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.